cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using wireshark for sniffing wlc 5.x HOW?

m.hierling
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

release notes for wlc software 5.x state that it is possible to use a sniffer AP and wireshark to capture radia data. Setting up the AP is described but how do i setup the wireshark workstation to retrieve the traffic? Is there something like a daemon mode where wireshark listens on port xy for incomming packages from the AP or ...

So can someone lighten me?

regards Martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sabhasin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Martin - yes, indeed that's possible. However, the fine print is that it's a specially built wireshark version that understands the custom packet format which is used to encapsulate LWAPP between WLC and Wireshark machine. Please open a TAC case and ask the TAC engineer to get this special build for you. Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

sabhasin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Martin - yes, indeed that's possible. However, the fine print is that it's a specially built wireshark version that understands the custom packet format which is used to encapsulate LWAPP between WLC and Wireshark machine. Please open a TAC case and ask the TAC engineer to get this special build for you. Hope that helps.

jozefburak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Martin, do you have already contact TAC engineer for this wireshark edition? Could you share it? I have the same problem.

Thanks

Jozef

Yes, but they send me a patched windows version. cant work with that because i have no Windows sniffer at my monitor ports.

anyway, i have deleted the software, sorry.

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card