cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using wireshark for sniffing wlc 5.x HOW?

m.hierling
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

release notes for wlc software 5.x state that it is possible to use a sniffer AP and wireshark to capture radia data. Setting up the AP is described but how do i setup the wireshark workstation to retrieve the traffic? Is there something like a daemon mode where wireshark listens on port xy for incomming packages from the AP or ...

So can someone lighten me?

regards Martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sabhasin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Martin - yes, indeed that's possible. However, the fine print is that it's a specially built wireshark version that understands the custom packet format which is used to encapsulate LWAPP between WLC and Wireshark machine. Please open a TAC case and ask the TAC engineer to get this special build for you. Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

sabhasin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Martin - yes, indeed that's possible. However, the fine print is that it's a specially built wireshark version that understands the custom packet format which is used to encapsulate LWAPP between WLC and Wireshark machine. Please open a TAC case and ask the TAC engineer to get this special build for you. Hope that helps.

jozefburak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Martin, do you have already contact TAC engineer for this wireshark edition? Could you share it? I have the same problem.

Thanks

Jozef

Yes, but they send me a patched windows version. cant work with that because i have no Windows sniffer at my monitor ports.

anyway, i have deleted the software, sorry.

Martin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card