Views
Helpful
Replies

7937 MSG Softkey - Can't remove from softkey template

egrinkin1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I just rec'd and installed a 7937, which is awesome by the way. I need to change the softkey template. The 3rd soft key when On Hook is MSG. It's a SD to voicemail. BUT, we won't have voicemail associated with this device and I want to put DND there instead.

You don't see the MSG key when making changes to the softkey template. You only see the other three when in CUCM.

Looking at the display on the 7937, you see the MSG Softkey. If I move the keys around in CUCM, they just skip over the 3rd.

I get the logic, there is no hard key for Messages, but I want to remove it. What would be even better is to change it to a PLK - Service URL. :-)

Any one see this before or know of anything I'm missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Liz,

Hope everything is well with you :) I have looked into this with other models that use the Message Softkey. The 7905,7912 (and I beleive 7906,7911) have this exact Restriction. No matter what you try to change, the Message Softkey can't be modified. The info for the new 7937 is still pretty skint, but I guess this same restriction is applied;

Restrictions

•The third soft-key button on the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G and Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G is reserved for the Message soft key. For these phone templates, the third soft-key defaults to the Message soft key.

For example, if you change the idle softkeys to Redial Dnd Pickup Login Gpickup, they still display,in order, the Redial, DND, **Message, PickUp, Login, and GPickUp soft keys.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmesoftk.html#wp1010434

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Liz,

Hope everything is well with you :) I have looked into this with other models that use the Message Softkey. The 7905,7912 (and I beleive 7906,7911) have this exact Restriction. No matter what you try to change, the Message Softkey can't be modified. The info for the new 7937 is still pretty skint, but I guess this same restriction is applied;

Restrictions

•The third soft-key button on the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G and Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G is reserved for the Message soft key. For these phone templates, the third soft-key defaults to the Message soft key.

For example, if you change the idle softkeys to Redial Dnd Pickup Login Gpickup, they still display,in order, the Redial, DND, **Message, PickUp, Login, and GPickUp soft keys.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmesoftk.html#wp1010434

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob! Things are great here, hope the same by you.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it was not able to be moved. It would be nice it there was an * like the New Call key, letting you know there was something special. But, you don't even see the MSGS at all!

This does answer my question. Don't like the answer, but you can't help that. Thanks again Rob and have a great weekend!

Hi Rob -

You just never know when a prior posting will help someone, even several years later!  My friend, this answered a similar question I had on the 7937 :-)

Ginger

Hi guys!

I came here facing the same issue in a 7911.

I'd like to thank you Rob and Liz.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: