Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FAT Tx Power & THIN Tx Power Level

During the site survey, we used the 1230 and assigned tx power based on 100mw, 50, 30, 10, 5.. so on.. on the AP. But when we implemented the controller-based, the transmit power were replaced with 'tx power levels', 1,2,3,4... so on... I read somewhere that 1 is the max and as the level increases, its tx power becomes 50% less. say, 1=100mw, 2=50 mw, 3=25mw, 4=12.5, 5=6.25 and so on...

the confusion is, some AP's tx power were set to 30mw during the site survey. Which level should be the euqivalent as 'tx power level' on the wlc-base deployment? is it safe to assign the 30mw site survey data to the #3 'tx power level' on the controller?

And does anyone has ideas on the effect of using or assigning the country codes of the controller. If US is used, what is the max power level value? is it 100mw? And if US is used as country code, can any AP on any country domain be used. I checked out the chart, but it's quite confusing.

Thanks for anyone who can shed light on this.... Argh!

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

#3.... You always can tweak the environment later.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

hi fella5,

thanks for your reply. what do you exactly mean by 'tweak the environment'?

does this involve relocating lap's?

When the installation is complete and you do a post survey and review the coverage, power can be adjusted just in case coverage isn't what it is suppose to be. You never know how the environment changes from the time a site survey is done and when the installation is complete. Some times RRM works in an environment and sometimes it is better to hard code the channel and power. This is dependent on user experience.

-Scott

Thanks, fella5!!!

Actually, the issue i'm faced right now is the association of the client is very unpredictable. like for example, some of the clients prefer to associate to AP's that are further than the one near to it. like this one client on the 2nd floor, it will associate to the LAP on the 3rd floor or the one on the 1st floor. only when the radio of those LAPs are disabled, this this client will associate to the nearby AP. and the signal strength is Excellent to Very Good. channels are set properly with non-overlapping. the non-overlapping channels (1-6-11) are used, via the DCA list. by default, the DCA list has the 1,6,11 checked. Should I checked them all so the AP can perform the previous feature 'Least Congested Channel'?

Is the signal coming from a dipole antenna (2.2 dbi) stronger than the one coming from patch (6.5 dbi)? the deployment is in a 4 storey building. we started from the top floor going down the basement. we first disable the radio of the autonomous ap on the 4th flr and then enable the lwaap ap. because of this, autonomous signal are still lingering on this floor which are coming from 3rd and 2nd floor. and the auto ap are using the least congested channel feature. so, if i'd try to scan the area, i'd see all the interferring channels from 1-11. i can even associate to the autonomous ssid even tho it is having fair to poor signal quality. that is why i ask if the dipole has a better signal than the patch.

should i wait for the autonomous signal to be completely eliminated before i can expect a better performance of the lightweight ap's?

thanks, fella5!

- desperate pirate,, Argh!!!

Should I checked them all so the AP can perform the previous feature 'Least Congested Channel'?

No... leave them set at 1,6,11

Is the signal coming from a dipole antenna (2.2 dbi) stronger than the one coming from patch (6.5 dbi)?

No... but if you are not in the path or the patch then the dipole will most likely be stronger.

If you are in an area in which you have deployed LWAP's and the clients seem to associate to autonomous AP's on other floor with weaker signal, then I would have to suggest you look at the configurations on that perticular SSID. Look at the firmware on the client end also which can be an issue.

If you can associate to one of the LWAP's, check to see the signal, by walking further away and monitoring the signal strength. Double check the antennas and make sure they are in the correct radio port.

I have implemented LWAP in sections at a time with no issues.... except for stronger signals from other areas (floors above and below), but that isn't your problem.

-Scott

hi fella5,

thanks for your very quick reply...

i do have another buzz... does the ap when positioned in the wcs maps, will have its radio tx power be affected? because after i press saved, it says, recalculating... will this have an effect even if i configured the the tx power on the wlc level?

thanks, again!!

desperate but hopeful pirate.... Argh!!

Positioning the AP on the WCS has no affect on the TX power of the AP. Heck... I move the AP's around so much because I'm so picky when they are not placed correctly.

Recalculation is on the map only.

-Scott

wififofum
Level 4
Level 4

This doc will shed light on the power levels available under LWAPP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/channels/lwapp/reference/guide/1200_chp.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card