cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set password for cisco 2600

ssweehin
Level 1
Level 1

I encountered a problem when try to set the password for cisco2600.

cisco2600>en

% No password set

I would like to go into the privilage mode to set the password. However, it gave me this message. May I know how to solve it. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You are connecting to the AUX port. Please change it to the console port. The console pot is next to the AUX port. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007e1f8.html#xtocid11

HTH

SSLIN

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

That is pretty strange. When there is no enable password or enable secret password configured on a 2600 router, you should be placed directly into privileged exec mode upon issuing the "enable" command.

You could try the password recovery procedure at the following link to see if this helps resolve your issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml

HTH

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael

The behavior that you describe is exactly correct if your session is on the console port. The symptoms sound like this session is a telnet session. In a telnet session you get the error message about no enable password if you attempt enable but no password has been configured. Swee the solution to this issue is to login to the 2600 on the console port, go into enable mode (which as Michael suggests would work just fine) and configure an enable password.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

Once again thank you for the information provided in your post.

It is very rarely that I would telnet/ssh directly into a router or switch. Most of the time I connect via console/terminal servers to the consoles of the devices. From my home lab and my studies I am familiar with the error when I attempt to telnet to a router/switch which does not have a password configured on the VTY lines. I have never come across the error shown in the initial post.

This will be one of the new things I have learned today and is worth the rating.

Best Regards & again thanks a million,

Michael

Michael

In many of my customer engagements remote access to routers and switches is frequent and important. I have seen the error when there is not a password on the VTY lines more frequently and the error when there was no enable password when telnetted I saw more often when I was actively teaching Cisco courses.

I am glad that my answer was helpful to you. Thanks for the rating.

I am glad to see that you continue to be active in the forum. Keep up the good work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This symptoms came out from console port, not telnet session. I was unable to go into enable mode from console and configure the enable password.

1 more question. When try to set passwors on cisco router 1700? It gave me the message below:

cisco1700#enable password P@SSW0RD

%Invalid input detected at ^ marker

Anything wrong with the command?

Hi, ssweehin

You forgot the "config t"

HTH

SSLIN

Hi, ssweehin

For the 1700 router, type "config t" first, then type "en password password". It should work.

For the 2600 router, please post the output of "sh user" and "sh line".

HTH

SSLIN

Swee

If it was not a telnet session then is it possible that you were connected to the AUX port instead of the console port? I have seen the symptom that you describe on telnet and on AUX but I have never seen it on the console.

If you try and it happens again would you do the show users command and post the output?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

cisco2600>sh user

Line User Host(s) Idle Location

* 65 aux 0 idle 00:00:00

Interface User Mode Idle Peer Address

cisco2600>sh line

Tty Typ Tx/Rx A Modem Roty AccO AccI Uses Noise Overruns Int

0 CTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

* 65 AUX 9600/9600 - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

66 VTY - - - - - 1 0 0/0 -

67 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

68 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

69 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

70 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

Line(s) not in async mode -or- with no hardware support:

1-64

Hi,

You are connecting to the AUX port. Please change it to the console port. The console pot is next to the AUX port. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007e1f8.html#xtocid11

HTH

SSLIN

Thanks. It resolved my issue.

Hi to all.. thanks for this forum as I read this. I learned new case how to solve. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Martee

CSCO11262530

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: