cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Public BGP peering weighted

gregwoodson
Level 1
Level 1

We have a public AS that we are advertising using two BGP peers. How can we change the weight or administrative distance on one to make it less preferable to incoming traffic?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The sample will work for both (1 x Router or 2 x Router in iBGP)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To enfluence incoming traffic, use PREPEND. You can also use MED but not all ISP honors MED.

If its not enough, try advertising your prefix in two in your preferred ISP and in one in your less-preferred ISP.

Regards,

Dandy

Hey Dandy!

I appreciate the response. I cant seem to find good documentation anywhere regarding prepend or its use. This is what I dont understand at this point.

Thanks

Hi,

Check this link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093f2c.shtml

The link is HSRP and BGP, just focus on the prepend :) in your situation (R2 for example) you can PREPEND more....

set as-path prepend 100 100 100 100 nnn

...I think the maximum is 8 prepend

BTW, what is your setup? 2 x Router (each peer to different ISP) or 1 Router that peers to both ISP.

Regards,

Dandy

Currently it is 1 router that peers to both ISPs. Within the next couple weeks- it will be 2 routers (then 3) peered to 3 different spots.

The sample will work for both (1 x Router or 2 x Router in iBGP)

Thanks! I am implementing changes tonite. I will update on here if it fixed the issue.

Thanks again!

This resolved the issue. Thanks!

for incoming traffic, you just have limited influence over the remote side's decision like AS prepend, or route origin (IGP/incomplete). MEDS will not work in multihomed scenario. If the remote side decides to use LP, it will override all your efforts.

The best way to control incoming traffic is to use different subnet mask to advertise the same route to different remote sides.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card