cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.2 "Message is no longer available" message

paul_romsos
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings. We have 1 user that has reported getting an error from Unity 4.2 stating "Message is no longer available". She is receiving this error quite frequently and is also the only one receiving the error. She does receive messages fine, but if she has 20 messages, 10 of them will be this error message. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

9 Replies 9

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, we'll need a lot more info before we can speculate much about what may be going on here.

First, that message will come up in a few scenarios.

First, if Unity gets a list of messages from the inbox when you call in and between the time you call in and the time you listen to the message it's moved or deleted, that prompt will play. I've seen this with users accessing messages over the phone and from the desktop at the same time (yes - this does happen from time to time).

Server side or client side rules in Outlook can bite you here as well - moving messages into folders is a common issue here - Unity can only access messages in your inbox, not in any folders regardless if they're server side or client side folders.

Another scenario that will cause that prompt to play is if a message marked as a voice mail (i.e. it has a message class of IPM.Note.Voice.Unity) but has no WAV file attached to it or the WAV file attachment has been altered or renamed that prompt will play. Virus scanner and, oddly enough, mail archive applications will sometimes do this type of thing.

So, I guess the first place to start is when she reports this, look in the inbox using Outlook or the web inbox and check the messages that are producing this error - make sure messages are not being moved/deleted/altered by applications on the user's dekstop or server side apps.

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately we do not use Unified Communications at this point, so many of the Outlook type issues (user deleted the message while checking mailbox, etc..)don't really apply to her as far as I can tell. If I'm mistaken please let me know. Thank you for the help.

Jeff,

we have a user with the same message on a Unity 5.01 VM only - could message store manager be causing this?...TIA J

yes msm could be the issue cause this can be set up per subscriber. and as Jeff stated acceessing the message while it is being moved might cause you to get this error.

Randy

Randy, thanks for the reply. The MSM tasks are scheduled for early hours in the morning, it could be that the user is accessing the mailbox at the same time but unlikely. They received a notification of a messsage and when they accessed the mailbox the system reported that the message was no longer available. If MSM had moved it between the notification message and the time the user accessed their mailbox then surely the system would not behave this way??

After relooking at all the posts, and since it is one subscriber and intermittent.

It would lead to the subscriber having a rule in Outlook.

Outlook would move the message right away, not on a schedule as MSM does.

So I guess the questions are.

Does the subscriber have rules in Outlook?

Does this happen to only one subscriber?

Randy

Randy thanks for checking, much apprciated. It does seem to be only 2 users at moment and they should'nt have any rules in Outlook as they are only accessing a vM system with a TUI. The only thing that's automatically moving messages about is MSM. I will continue to monitor the situation and ask again when I have more info, many thanks...Jeff

I would install outlook on a workstation and connect it to the exchange that Unity is partnered with and test.

Even though it is VM it is still the same. Maybe exchange is moving the message.

Randy, Let us know what happens and thanks for the rates.

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Paul,

I've seen issues where a particular user was delivering mail to a local .pst rather than their Exchange Inbox. I've also seen situations where a virus scanner or some other application had modified the header of voice mails from IPM.Note.Voice.Unity to something else, thus causing the messages to no longer be readable by Unity.

Brad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: