cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dedicate fiber for two copper ports

ddaugherty1264
Level 1
Level 1

Say have a network physically connected in a star with the center a 4500 switch. Off of the 4500, I have several switches all connected via one pair fiber. Now I have one 3560 switch that has two fiber trunks back to the 4500 and that switch has two copper ports that I want to dedicate full bandwidth of one of the fiber ports for traffic back to the core (leave all other ports going to the other fiber).

The only way I can think of forcing traffic is to set the two ports on a different VLAN and exclude that VLAN from one of the fiber trunks.

Is this possible without setting up a different VLAN for these two ports?

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If the links back to the 4500 were routed links then you could use some sort of PBR which would need to be implemented on both the 3560 and the 4500.

However as they are trunks your solution is the easiest way to achieve what you are trying to do. Just make sure that the dedicated vlan is the only allowed on the link at both the 3560 and the 4500 link.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: