Views
Helpful
Replies

Error on the switches 3550 and 2950

brunosantosnet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends,

Yesterday, I had serious problems on the my network. I have three switches on the my datacenter, one 3550 and two 2950, the ports of connection between them constantly disconnect. I see on the browser that the ports is on yellow color, informing that it was incapacitated, but I don't understand the cause. Who can help me? Can It disable ports because of intense traffic? Restarted the routers but the problem continued. Which tools I can use to monitor the imperfections and to decide the problem?

Thanks,

Bruno Santos

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the configuration from the 3 switches along with show cdp neigh det and show version

__

Edison.

Hi friends. Do you again? I am happy therefore. At this moment I am out of office, but understand that you want see the version of the my switches and informations of the switches that them connect. I go to explain more. Some ports of switch 3550 stop to function for some connections (fiber connection), normally only onde port continue functioning. If I remove the fiber connection that it functions normally and connect on the others ports, them comes back to function normally. I did understand that the problem was on the some fiber connection, but for my surprise all comes back the to function normal without configuration additional when shutdown the all switches. The connection the Internet also presents problems and our services provider also detected that we have problems in our internal LAN. I don't understand because this problems, this network never showed problems. Same with my explaining I can forward the information that you requested. You can also with the explaining see more details and indicate some tools for analyse of the problem?

Thanks,

Bruno Santos

I need to see the information I requested before making any suggestion.

One addition output I would like to see is:

show spanning-tree

from every switch.

Thanks

My friend, see my informations

Hi there,

You are missing the show run from all devices as I requested.

From the info you've provided thus far, it seems you have more than 3 switches in your network. Based on the CDP neighbor output, you also have a CE500 24 Port switch and guess what? That switch is the root of your spanning-tree (not good). Not only having the underpowered CE500 as the STP Root a bad indicator but this switch is actually hanging off one of your 2950 switches on a fastethernet port

I suggest forcing the root of the only Vlan you have to be located in the 3550 switch (the best switch of the bunch).

You can alter the spanning-tree priority on that Vlan with the command spanning-tree vlan 1-4096 priority 0. Please perform this change during a maintenance window as the switches will recalculate its forwarding interfaces.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card