Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Recommendation for LAB Practice

MW20082008
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, folks:

I would like to ask if anyone can recommend a really good network lab simulator.

The problem is that I need more hands-on experience. I have plenty of theoretical knowledge and a solid understanding of routing and switching. I have done a lot of operations work, which has helped broaden my fund of knowledge.

These day, however, I would like more PRACTICAL experience actually configuring different technologies in different scenarios and with certain requirements.

Does anyone know or used a really good product? I want something that is really intricate and can really allow someone to grow and learn.

I dont want CCNA stuff. That is way too easy for me. I can configure interfaces and basic routing and switching in my sleep.

I need a CCNP/CCIE level product where I can fool around with BGP and configure it to support multiple Internet access points, duplicate data centers, etc; PIM; load balancing; firewalls; etc.

Thanks

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Then I would recommend the ipexperts especially if you are looking for something more at your pace. Ipexpert gives the lab books and the example topologies for you to follow. good luck with your studies.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dynamips http://7200emu.hacki.at/index.php

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi:

Im not sure I understand. You directed me to another message board like this one...? Not quite sure what is special about that one...

You just had to dig a little bit within that link Edison gave you which provides topics information on dynamips, dynagen, gns3 that good stuff etc.. try http://www.gns3.net

Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge:

I used your GNS link.

I downloaded the software Im having some trouble with it...Ill fix it soon.

More mportantly, thiugh, I think this is just something that simulates a lab environment...a virtual lab, so to speak. Thats cool, but I was looking for something that has lab exercises and practice, etc.

For example,

chapter 1, configuring IP PIM multicasting

chapter 2, configuring BGP in a multihomed environment

chapter 3 configuring OSPF stub routing to support a routed access layer

In other words, along with the virtual routers and switches that I can connect as I please, I want actual LABs that teach through a step by step approach.

Am I making sense?

Thanks

Are you looking to pay for labs or more interested in getting some freebies? What you are talking about, if you want quality material does not come to you for free.

I have heard many rave reviews of http://www.ipexpert.com/.

Another one to look at is globalknowledge. I have taken many of their courses and they are great.

I also know that there are forums out there that will have the information above posted, but I don't necessarily condone that so I will not post any links. If you know how to use torrent then you will find what you are looking for.

Of course I am willing to pay...something reasonable for a product thats worth it, but, yes, willing to pay. I need something thats quality...

Anyone else?

Then I would recommend the ipexperts especially if you are looking for something more at your pace. Ipexpert gives the lab books and the example topologies for you to follow. good luck with your studies.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: