cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outlook Plug-in 1.8

Rich Tillis
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had problems with the Outlook plug-in 1.8 running on a vista box with Office 2007 Enterprise suite? After I install the plug in, Outlook tries to start then fails. Once the plug-in is uninstalled Outlook is back to normal. Outlook is closed during the install and no ESM on the pc.
Has anyone out there experienced this problem?

11 Replies 11

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

Can you provide the version and build of your Microsoft Outlook? [Help -> About Microsoft Office Outlook] and paste in the info.

According to the encryption plugin release notes found in the Support Portal, these are the support versions:

II. Supported Email Clients
=========================================================

Microsoft Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2007 with all Service
Packs released in year 2004, 2005 and 2006

Has anyone had problems with the Outlook plug-in 1.8 running on a vista box with Office 2007 Enterprise suite?  After I install the plug in, Outlook tries to start then fails.  Once the plug-in is uninstalled Outlook is back to normal.  Outlook is closed during the install and no ESM on the pc.

Rich Tillis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...Didn't think anyone was going to reply...:D
I'm running Outlook 2007 (12.0.6300.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000), Part of Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007. Also the 'plugin' I'm referring to is the Anti-Spam plug in for reporting spam and threats. I did end up getting this plugin to work...all it took was a reboot of my pc after the installation. A reboot wasn't forced or required as part of the install...?? Outlook has unexpectedly locked up on me a couple of times since the install but runs fine after closing then reopening??
Thanks...Rich...

Has anyone had problems with the Outlook plug-in 1.8 running on a vista box with Office 2007 Enterprise suite?  After I install the plug in, Outlook tries to start then fails.  Once the plug-in is uninstalled Outlook is back to normal.  Outlook is closed during the install and no ESM on the pc.

I have this same issue on my computer. I am running vista wSP1 and Office 2007 w/SP1. Plugin works fine for a while then craps out and casuses Outlook not to open. When i remove plugin Outlook works fine again.

Rich Tillis
Level 1
Level 1

Almost the same thing happening here with me except the plugin works fine all the time, but about once a day usually since I originally got it working, Outlook just stops working and won't even open until I reboot my pc? It usually happens when I right click on an email in my inbox as if I want to mark it as read or something?? I guess we're the only two having this problem because a lot of people have viewed this thread but only 2 have replies or posted??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have this same issue on my computer. I am running vista wSP1 and Office 2007 w/SP1. Plugin works fine for a while then craps out and casuses Outlook not to open. When i remove plugin Outlook works fine again.

steven_geerts
Level 1
Level 1

Are you guys receiving so much undetected spam messages that it justifies the installation of the plug-in?
I receive maybe one not detected spam message per month in my mailbox since we started using Ironport. (before that time we had an other product using Brightmail, at that time there where around the 60 undetected SPAMs every month, there where around the 100-250 spam messages per day addressed to me at that time, I can not tell the current rate since Senderbase is keeping most of the garbage outside).

For me that single message a month is it not worth screwing up my Outlook installation. :twisted: (please convince me of the opposite....)

Steven

Hi Steven, the plugin is one of our ways of feeding information back to us regarding threat messages and spam, for example spamtraps are our most succesful feedback method.
The plugin also gives peace of mind in case you do need to use it, it doesn't make the problem go away but it all helps senderbase and the TOC make better rules based on spam and sending IP's

The plugin also gives the end users something to do to vent their anger over spam (otherwise they contact the helpdesk demanding action).

I've yet to see any actual change based on plugin usage - but it's a button people can press and they don't bother you.

[I'm sure the submitted emails do something but on such a macro scale you don't see anything locally]

Rich Tillis
Level 1
Level 1

The past 3 comments are interesting and I agree with monkeymad and tcmin on how/why the plug-in is useful. But...if it's going to continue to cause problems for me, I'm certainly not going to give it to staff. I can't believe there are only a couple of us that have experienced this problem??

Rich Tillis
Level 1
Level 1

I finally have received a pop-up box error message when trying to restart Outlook after a freeze up (i've been saying freeze up but what it actually does is force Outlook to shut down), which I believe is caused or at least connected in some way to the IronPort spam plug-in...

PopUp box titled...'IronPort Plug-in'
'You are using incorrect version of mapi32.dll. Plug in can work improperly

Only option is 'OK' button. Outlook opened successfully after clicking Ok?

So...any comments or suggestions now??

Thanks...

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Not trying to hijack this thread but my related question is how are other people handling missed SPAM. I have 16k users and I don't have control over the desktops so rolling out the Outlook plug-in is not real attractive to me. The other options that I see are publishing the IronPort e-mail addresses to my users and allow them to report missed SPAM. My concern there is that they will not include the internet headers. What we have done in the past is just setup an internal mailbox for people to report the SPAM to and then once a week or so go through it and forward them on to IronPort. How do you handle this issue?

We are testing the plug-in with 20 or so users and all of them really like it because we still get SPAM in our inbox. IronPort seems to be taking a while to learn that we don't want emails from email.optin.com because they keep coming through.

I suspect it is because we are a medical practice and they are trying to sell us all types of insurance such as Blue Cross Blue Shield.

I have to admit that I have had lockups in my Outlook since the install but never made the connection to the SPAM plugin because I also have the encryption button. Huh.

I have had to kill Outlook multiple times and did have to reboot once.

My version isn't Vista yet, just XP sp2 all the patches and updates and Outlook 2003 all the patches and updates.

3 of our core apps don't work on Vista and our users would kill us if we made them learn the new Office 2007 because of the changes.

et

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: