cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The channel-protocol command - what purpose does it serve?

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I have been playing with channel negotiation protocols in the lab, and I am struggling to understand what useful purpose the channel-protocol command serves.

If you are in modes desirable or auto, you can only handle a PAgP parter anyway. If you are in modes active or passive, you can only handle an LACP partner anyway. If you are in mode on you can negotiate neither PAgP nor LACP. So isn't the protocol always implicit in the mode?

So what does the channel-protocol command do? As far as I can see in the lab, the only thing it does is to restrict you configuration options to desirable and/or auto, or active and/or passive. A sort of "belt and braces".

Is there some scenario I have not tested, where is serves some functional purpose?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I can see in the lab, the only thing it does is to restrict you configuration options to desirable and/or auto, or active and/or passive. A sort of "belt and braces".

That's exactly it. If you were to configure active/active or active/passive with the channel-protocol set to PAgP, the etherchannel wouldn't form. Same goes the other way around.

I guess is an assurance that you are indeed using the correct etherchannel protocol :)

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I can see in the lab, the only thing it does is to restrict you configuration options to desirable and/or auto, or active and/or passive. A sort of "belt and braces".

That's exactly it. If you were to configure active/active or active/passive with the channel-protocol set to PAgP, the etherchannel wouldn't form. Same goes the other way around.

I guess is an assurance that you are indeed using the correct etherchannel protocol :)

__

Edison.

Edison, thank you for confirming that. In fact, my lab session showed that if you set the channel-protocol to PAgP, then it will not even allow you to configure mode active or passive - it rejects the command. And vice versa.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card