cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PBX to PBX remote connections over FXO ports

modipremal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts I am new to VoIP. We have three sites and are connected via 2801 routers on ecah site Over T1. All sites have PBX. If I install 2 port FXO card into all three routers, can I establish the phone connection between each sites. If yes Can I have some configuration examples.

Thanks.

Premal

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, if you only use FXO ports on the router, you will have much trouble, because the router can't know when the remote has disconnected and the port will remain stuck. The workaround would be to configure tone based disconnect supervision but that is also complicated and doesn't work all the time. Beside that, with FXO you have to do two-stage dialing, that is dial, wait for another dialtone, then dial again the remote PBX extension.

In summary, it is a very poor design.

So it is recommended that you connect the PBX in order of prefeence with:

1. ISDN BRI

2. analog E&M

3. both FXS and FXO ports. In this latter, router places calls on FXO port, and receive calls on FXS.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for your reply. How can I use analog E&M and how it be connected to PBX.

You need E&M interface on the PBX, and help from the PBX technician to configure it. So if you've to add an interface anyway, the preferred one is ISDN BRI. Write back when you've got one of the three choices mentioned above on your PBXs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: