cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring a network

simon.dejonghe
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone explain me what's the cause of the error message?

IP laptop --> 192.168.1.10

IP Router --> 192.168.1.1

I can ping to the router.

This is the sh run output... So I have community strings:

!

snmp-server community public RO

snmp-server community private RW

snmp-server ifindex persist

!

Netflow is also configured on the router... (see output.txt)

pls HELP ME :)

Regards,

Simon

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NetFlow is already configured in the router and you are trying to configure NetFlow once again with Solarwinds via SNMP.

Basically, the error is telling you the router does not allow you to configure NetFlow via SNMP. NetFlow is already configured, so why do it again?

The flows are being sent to your Laptop (192.168.1.10) so you've received "135 flows exported in 20 udp datagrams" according to your post.

If you don't have such information, then verify your SolarWinds configuration. There is nothing else to do at the router.

HTH,

__

Edison.

If I capture the packets from router to laptop with wireshark I can see the requests and responses... Everything looks fine. First he ask global information through SNMP:

systeem descriprion(=SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0): Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software \r\nIOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.3(15b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)\r\nCopyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.\r\nCompiled Thu 2),

sysName(=SNMPv2-MIB::sysName: Router1)

But when he ask after netflow information in the MIB, wireshark says "noSuchObject"... What is the cause of this problem? (see attachments)

Which freeware software would you take to monitor the packets the router send with netflow?

Regards,

Simon

Please see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t7/feature/guide/nflowmib.html

On information regarding the NetFlow MIB.

HTH,

__

Edison.

so, something is missing in my configuration you think?... I used this site to configure my router... I taked al the configure commands from

"How to Configure SNMP and use the NetFlow MIB to Monitor NetFlow Data"

But I don't understand how i have to do this:

Step 1

snmpset -c private -m all -v2c [ip-address | hostname] cnfCINetflowEnable.interface-number integer [0 | 1 | 2 | 3]

Example:

workstation% snmpset -c private -m all -v2c 10.4.9.62 cnfCINetflowEnable.1 integer 1

(Required) Configures NetFlow for an interface.

You know an answer?

Greetz,

Simon

snmpset is optional and not required. You need to concentrate on the basics before moving to the optional parameters.

You keep mentioning WireShark, is SolarWinds getting the NetFlow data ?

The router will export the NetFlow data once it expires. Per your initial post, the router has done so. If SolarWinds isn't capturing that information, I recommend contacting SolarWinds as the router's configuration is perfect.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Solarwinds isn't caputre the data, the router send... The reason is, because the MIB number is wrong... I wont contact solarwins cause my english is not so good... Do you know another freeware software packet that can capture netflow packets, send by the router?

Regards,

Simon

Sorry, I don't know of any other freeware.

__

Edison.

I have faced similar problems with Solarwinds netflow

Try netflow analyzer (it is not free though but can download a trial)

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/netflow/

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card