Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI and fax

velocitystorm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I setup a customer with a PRI card in their UC 500. Very straightforward. One question, I have is how does FAX work with this? Do I just connect the fax to one of the FXS ports or do I need to have an analog line into one of the FXO ports?

Is there a good document out there that explains all of this?

Sorry for the newbie question!

Thanks,

Matt

3 Replies 3

kplunkett512
Level 1
Level 1

Matt - If you have an analog fax machine you're trying to use, then you would use an FXS port (station port), not a FXO (central office) port. The FXO ports are for telco lines coming from the carrier, the FXS ports are for the station devices (modems, fax). You route the calls to the FXS ports through your dial peers. So, if I had a block of 20 DID's (212.555.8860 through 212.555.8879) and I wanted to route 212.555.8879 to one of my analog FXS ports for my fax machine, I would use the CLI to insert the following commands:

dial-peer voice 28 pots

description Fax Machine

destination-pattern 8879

port 0/1/1

The number "28" is the one I used, but you can use what works for you. The destination-pattern assumes you're using 4 routing internally, hence only "8879". Port 0/1/1 is what the router gave me for my voice port. You can find this by running the "show voice port summary" command from enable mode. You'll see the following output:

PORT CH SIG-TYPE ADMIN OPER STATUS STATUS EC

============== == ============ ===== ==== ======== ======== ==

0/0/0:23 01 isdn-voice up dorm none none y

0/0/0:23 02 isdn-voice up dorm none none y

0/0/0:23 03 isdn-voice up dorm none none y

0/0/0:23 04 isdn-voice up dorm none none y

0/0/0:23 05 isdn-voice up dorm none none y

0/0/0:23 06 isdn-voice up dorm none none y

0/0/0:23 07 isdn-voice up dorm none none y

0/0/0:23 08 isdn-voice up dorm none none y

0/0/0:23 09 isdn-voice up dorm none none y

0/1/0 -- fxs-ls up dorm on-hook idle y

0/1/1 -- fxs-ls up dorm on-hook idle y

0/1/2 -- fxs-ls up dorm on-hook idle y

0/1/3 -- fxs-ls up dorm on-hook idle y

50/0/25 1 efxs up dorm on-hook idle y

50/0/26 1 efxs up dorm on-hook idle y

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I am going to try this out asap.

I have a quick question. How do you determine the internal routing? In your example, you picked 8879 (clearly, the 4-digit extension as part of the phone). Does this mean if you are using DIDs and the 4-digit extension, this should work? In my case, I am, but if I were using a 3-digit extension that didn't map to a DID, how would I do this? Via ephone and ephone-dn? Sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: