cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM 3.2(3) bug? or different problem? or config mistake?

shinwoo_acdc77
Level 1
Level 1

FWSM cpu high level (90%-100%) by periods..

I think bug on 3.2(3) but not certainly

I found bug

1. tcp-normalizer

2. High CPU in http inspection

add "show process" file (normal,problem)

please help me..

5 Replies 5

Jay Johnston
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So if you disable the tcp normalizer you don't see the problem?

Hi Jay,

I have an FWSM running software version 3.1(8). It was upgraded from version 2.3(3).

After the upgrade, end-user complain of slow SQL transfer across the FWSM.

I suspect I'm hitting the bug ID CSCsl71684 (FWSM 'inspect sqlnet' can lead to TCP drops when short inter-packets gap).

The workarounds are:

1 disable inspect sqlnet

2 enable inspect sqlnet but disable tcp normalizer

3 do smaller data transfers (-> resulting in smaller rapid burst of TNS data packets)

4 upgrade FWSM to 3.1.9 or 3.2.

Is it advisable to disable TCP normalizer (using "no control-point tcp-normalizer" command)? What's the impact? I'd like to test disabling TCP normalizer and see the effect on the SQL transfer before I upgrade it to version 3.1(9) or 3.2.

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you post the configuration of the following command (captured at various intervals):

show processes cpu-hog

Also as others have suggested, did you try to disable the TCP normalizer using:

no control-point tcp-normalizer

Regards

Farrukh

Hi Farrukh,

Is it recommended to disable TCP normalizer (using "no control-point tcp-normalizer" command)? What's the impact?

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

This is the official description:

"For traffic that passes through the control-plane path, such as packets that require Layer 7 inspection or management traffic, the FWSM sets the maximum number of out-of-order packets that can be queued for a TCP connection to 2 packets, which is not user-configurable. Other TCP normalization features that are supported on the PIX and ASA platforms are not enabled for FWSM. You can disable the limited TCP normalization support for the FWSM using the no control-point tcp-normalizer command."

Please note its not recommended to disable it, consider this a transient step to fix the HIGH CPU issue.

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card