cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 Why a lot of UP/down error msg on my switch

Wlewx11
Level 1
Level 1

Both end (switch and client) speed/duplex set as Auto.

change network cable in user end and patch panel/ swap to other switch port the same error msg like below still ocured. any advice?

my conf is

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 1

!

17079: 017076: Mar 24 03:11:36: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up

17080: 017077: Mar 24 03:13:23: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down

17081: 017078: Mar 24 03:13:28: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up

17082: 017079: Mar 24 03:14:32: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down

17083: 017080: Mar 24 03:14:37: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up

10 Replies 10

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

can you check up the current speed/duplex on the interface using show interface faeth0/1 with current setting and hardcode the same under the interface using speed and duplext command ?

regds

pnicolette
Level 1
Level 1

If the building wiring is bad/noisy you may need to set both ends to speed 10, duplex full as a workaround.

Also try connecting a laptop instead of the client to see if the client NIC has a problem.

actually i have swap this client port to another Cat4506 switch, look like same issue still occured. and connect laptop into existing port, it working fine

so might not bad/noisy problem. i will keep change the speed/duplex. will keep u guy update.

If you connected the laptop at the client end (not near the switch), then it is likely an issue with the client and not with the building wiring.

yesterday i have change to 100 half duplex. Same problem still occured. Today i going change to 10 full and will monitor the status. update will follow

After change to 10 Full for fews hours, same problem occured again. Please advice what is my next step? or i have ask user to format his PC?

If the problem occurred when BOTH the PC and the switchport were set to 10 Full, reformatting the PC is unlikely to help. It may be a hardware problem with the PC network interface card (NIC). If you can swap the NIC, try that. If it is built in to the system, you might try disabling it in BIOS and adding a new separate NIC.

You might also look for possible problem in the cabling: a weak clip on the RJ45 might allow it to make connection, break connection, or a faulty patch cable, or a problem with the wall jack might produce these symptoms. I would suggest trying a different patch cable and if possible a different wall jack (or if the user is willing, to temporarily relocate the PC to see if the problem moves with the PC or stays with the wiring).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thx ur advice...problem been solved after found there is due to NIc power save setting

Thanks for posting back to the forum and indicating that the problem had been resolved and what the problem turned out to be. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can see what the problem turned out to be.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: