CCVP questions

Unanswered Question
Mar 24th, 2008

Hi,

In what order should the CCVP exams be done, based on two conditions?

1) You have no prior VoIP experience.

2) Your going to follow the Cisco Unified Communications Manager track.

Thanks

Jason

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
dezoconnor Wed, 04/09/2008 - 11:52

For me coming from a Data background I found that doing the CVoice course first gave me a good understanding of voice basics.

Then maybe do the rest in the following order:

CIPT - Callmanager

GWGK - Gateway and Gatekeeper

QoS or Troubleshooting

srue Thu, 04/10/2008 - 11:25

I did cvoice first also...BUT...the pre-req for CVOICE is "Voice over IP Fundamentals".

If you have no VOIP experience (or PSTN) or knowledge, start with VOIP Fund. It's rather dry material, just as a warning. atleast for someone like me who comes from more of a security/data side.

celticfc2007 Fri, 04/11/2008 - 00:40

Hi,

Thanks for the last 2 responses. The only thing is, its come highly recommended to pursue the CCNP before the CCVP, so I've changed my longer term plans.

I appreciate the input though, thx!

jim_berlow Tue, 04/15/2008 - 15:54

I don't know. Being a CCNP (even a CCIE), the tracks are completely different and emphasive different things. The only real overlap I really see is in QoS. If you really want to do voice (and make the big bucks), I think you would do fine just doing the CCVP straight on. The CCNP isn't going to teach you much relating to voice.

HTH,

Jim

bschear Sat, 04/19/2008 - 19:39

I just finished up the CCVP a couple months ago. On the old track which I did the best order seemed to be

CVOICE

Gateway/Gatekeeper (actually almost a CVOICE 2 test)

CIPT

QOS

TUC

With the new track if I had to do it now I would go in this order.

CVOICE

CIPT1

CIPT2

QOS

TUC

My additional two cents would be if you have the time now go for the old track. There is going to be a lot more material out there for the old track at this point and learning the incremental changes in the new stuff isn't too bad. The only exception would be if you are only going to be working with the new stuff and can line up some good classes or boot camps for the new versions. I have to deal with versions 3,4,5, and 6 at different customers now so I end up learning all the versions at this point.

Actions

This Discussion