Helpful
Replies

FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES

hawkins00000
Level 1
Level 1

Sporadically throughout the day, 3-5 times we get the followign error messages:

<SNIP>

.Mar 24 09:31:07.686 EST: %DSMP-3-DSP_TIMEOUT: DSP timeout on DSP 0/2:2: event 0x6, DSMP timed out, while waiting for statistics from the DSP. DSMP State = S_DSMP_COLLECTING_STATS

Mar 24 11:15:41.791 EST: %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally.

Mar 24 11:19:37.137 EST: %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally.

Mar 24 11:19:42.505 EST: %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally.

Mar 24 11:24:18.363 EST: %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally.

Mar 24 11:25:02.808 EST: %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally.

Mar 24 11:34:08.515 EST: %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally.

Mar 24 13:37:28.339 EST: %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally.

Mar 24 13:37:36.547 EST: %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally.

Mar 24 13:38:36.755 EST: %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally

</SNIP>

I looked on-line and all I could find was:

<Snip>

Error Message

%FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES : [chars]

Explanation Flex DSPRM has temporarily failed to allocate a DSP for this call. An oversubscription has occurred and the current free DSP MIPS/Credits are not sufficient to admit a new call.

Recommended Action Check availability of router DSP resource and DSP sharing configurations.

Our current config of DSP's is:

dspfarm profile 2 transcode

codec g711ulaw

codec g711alaw

codec g729ar8

codec g729abr8

maximum sessions 35

associate application SCCP

!

dspfarm profile 1 conference

codec g711ulaw

codec g711alaw

codec g729ar8

codec g729abr8

codec g729r8

codec g729br8

maximum sessions 8

associate application SCCP

Since this site only has 2 T-1's, and (3) 32DSP chips, the above config shoudl work, but we still get the errors.

All (3) DSP chips have already been replaced.

Any else have any suggestions?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

what's the codec complexity under the voice card?

Troubleshooting Codec and Voice Card Complexity

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00800a74d7.shtml

you can try hardcoding it not to use flex

javalenc

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which exact IOS are your running ?

IOS Version: 12.4 (13r)T -

We upgraded the IOS ver to a tech release to address this issues, which obviously didn't help either.

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3825-ENTSERVICES-M), Version 12.4(19.10), INTERIM SOFTWARE

In fact and in light of that, running a known stable release like 12.4(3j) or 12.4(11)XJ4 could help.

I would also try reducing session number to the minimum necessary, and removing support for all the codec you don't have in use (eg nobody uses g711a)

12.4(13r)T sounds like a boot loader version, not the real IOS running on the router. Anyway, if you did go from IOS 12.4(13r)T to 12.4(19) that isn't really a upgrade as your going from a T train to the mainline train which is actually different. 12.4T has new features added since 12.4 mainline. 12.4 mainline releases have bug fixes.

There was a bug with this error, which happened when router got FAX/modem calls but I last dealt with such bug long time ago in very early 12.4 mainline releases and later 12.3T releases. But maybe it came back or it is something else.

Can you post a full 'show version' of what you had before?

Did TAC give a bug id? I'm guessing since you have a tech release, 12.4(19.10) you got that from TAC?

RESOLVED.

The errors that we were seeing were because our DSPs were just allocated improperly, and we were running out of resources. We had 35 Transcoding resources configured on the router. When we allocated DSP's for conferencing or Transcoding it prevents them from being used as “FlexDSP's” when the PRI tries to initialize them to handle an incoming call. We made the following changes to our router configuration per the recommended configuration using the Cisco DSP Calculator.

With the configuration set for 35 transcoding sessions there was not enough DSP resources left to handle incoming and outgoing calls on the PRI's.

We currently have 3 PVDM2-64 DSP Modules installed in your 3825 series router. Here is the optimized configuration from the DSP Calculator:

46 PRI Trunks + your 23 T1 CAS channels (T1 CAS does not utilize DSP's)

8 FXS Configured Ports

6 FXO Configured Ports

12 Simultaneous G711-G729 Transcoding Calls

6 Simultaneous G711/G729 Conferencing Calls

With this config you should no longer see any %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally. Events.

The system is now setup to utilize only the DSP's installed and will not try and allocate DSP's that are not in the router.

RESOLVED. No more error messages.

Hi,

I've just read this post...I'm having the same problem. I just wanted to clarify the Resolution you posted... To affect your change, did you change the Transcoder profile to "maximum sessions 12" and the Conferencing profile to "maximum sessions 6"? And does that mean that the rest of your Resources are freed up for FlexDSP?

Thank you!

You are correct. We also added DSP's to resolve.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: