Cisco CCNP Lab Companion books

Unanswered Question

Hi All

Currently studying for my CCNP, BSCI successfully completed currently going through the BCMSN material.

I have come across the CCNP Lab Companion series of boks from Cisco press and have looked these up on Amazon and InformIT.

On both sites the the published date is 2004, which makes me think that these were written for the old CCNP exams. I have checked on the Cisco press site and the search engine do not return any hits for CCNP lab guides.

I was just wondering if anybody knew of any lab guides geared towards the new CCNP track or if these older books are mostly still relevant?

Best Regards,

Michael

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
svermill Mon, 03/24/2008 - 13:54

In my final weeks of lab prep I was still wanting some additional reference material for switching topics so I bought what I thought was the current CCNP switching exam course book. Oops. Turned out that I accidentally ordered "CCNP Building Multilayer Switched Networks Lab Portfolio." It's basically a book full of lab switching scenarios. It has a copyright of 2008, so it's very current. I had plenty of labs going on and it was too late to send it back and re-order the correct book, so it has just been sitting on a shelf. Thus, I have no idea whether it's any good or not or how many switches you need to go through the labs...

Hi Svermill

Cheers for the response. I have just checked and this book is available on Amazon so I reckon I will pick it up. Like you said I am also just looking for more switching scenarios for my BCMSN NP lab studies.

My current BCMSN lab consists of the following (diagram attached)

2 x 2950 L2 switches (access layer)

2 x 3550 EMI L3 switches (Distribution layer)

2 x 3750 L3 switches (one a 3750 metro, Core layer)

Hopefully this will be sufficient for the labs or at least I can adjust the labs to suit this setup.

Thanks for the heads up on the lab guide.

Best Regards,

Michael.

Attachment: 
svermill Mon, 03/24/2008 - 14:39

Hi Michael,

Nice lab! You should do well with that setup. In reviewing the base topology found at the beginning of the book, I think you should be just fine. I'm not sure what all the WiFi has to do with switching, per se? Perhaps they use this one single topology for all of the individual curriculums within the Networking Academy? Not sure one way or the other but, again, looks like you have more than enough hardware as far as the true switching stuff goes...

Cheers,

Scott

Actions

This Discussion