cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switch:Vlan1 administratively down

paulc
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to connect 2950 to a 4006. I've made both connecting ports "switchport mode trunk".

However when I do a sh ip int, "vlan1 administratively down, line protocol is down."

I tried pinging the switch but no reply.

Can you tell me where I went wrong?

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If vlan 1 is administratively down then

int vlan 1

no shut

However a little more detail might help. Vlan 1 on which switch ?.

Jon

Vlan1 is on the 2950. (We only have 1 vlan.) It nows shows vlan1 up but I still can't ping the 2950.

Have you verified that Vlan1 on BOTH switches are in the same subnet? if you are directly connecting switches and you only have one vlan, they should be in the same subnet.

Yes. It's a pretty "flat" network; 1 vlan, 1 subnet.

Is your int vlan 1 up/up? If you do a show vlan do you have any interfaces that are in the vlan and are up/up?

Paul

Can you post the output of "sh int trunk" from the 2950. Also the same from 4006 - if CatOS the command is "sh trunk".

Jon

pankaj_goyal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

When an interface is 'administratively down', it means that the interface is switched off. You need to perform a 'no shut' command on both the interfaces connecting the two switches. It will start working.

Hi Paul,

can you able to do internal ping.

1. Plz. check the physical connectivity in between both switches.

2. can you check that you used cross cable only to connect other switch.

3. as already told in prior posts go to interface and give 'no shut'.

Regards,

Naidu.

First off, sorry for the delay in responding; been a busy week. I've issued the no shut commands on both interfaces.

As to the X-over, I neglected to mention that the switch is in one closet and the core 4006 is here in I/S.

The 2950 uses a cat5 cable down to I/S (less than 100 feet, btw) and then cable from patch panel to switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: