Answered Question

May i know how to set the login username for cisco2600? I only know how to set the password.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by everestm about 8 years 8 months ago

The command above:

>username TEST password TEST

along with the line:

>line con 0

>login local

will prompt you for the username (TEST) and password (TEST) when you first try to console into the router. This will put you into the 'view' mode. To get into 'enable' mode where you can make changes, when you type "en" it will again ask you for a password. This is the password which is set using either of the following commands:

>enable password PASSWORD

>enable secret PASSWORD

This password is what I think you are referring to when you call it the 'default password'.

Overall Rating: 4.3 (3 ratings)
mattcalderon Mon, 03/24/2008 - 19:18

are you talking about the enable password or the console password?

The enable password will remain the same, but if you enable local authentication at the console level, then that's what will be used. If you had a different console password it will be ignored for local authentication. Same goes for vty lines

Please Rate helpful posts.

mattcalderon Mon, 03/24/2008 - 19:25

default password for what? When you telnet or when you console in?

cisco2600#config t

cisco2600username User1 password testpassword

The above commands only create the users.

you have to apply them to a console or vty line.

Correct Answer
everestm Mon, 03/24/2008 - 19:56

The command above:

>username TEST password TEST

along with the line:

>line con 0

>login local

will prompt you for the username (TEST) and password (TEST) when you first try to console into the router. This will put you into the 'view' mode. To get into 'enable' mode where you can make changes, when you type "en" it will again ask you for a password. This is the password which is set using either of the following commands:

>enable password PASSWORD

>enable secret PASSWORD

This password is what I think you are referring to when you call it the 'default password'.

everestm Mon, 03/24/2008 - 20:10

Yes, you can add more than one username per router. Just repeat the command, but put in a different username -- it will then keep both.

Remember, to make this active, you need to add:

line con 0 ;for use when consoling in

login local

line vty 0 4 ;for use when telnetting in

login local

Also, another option is to use an extended form of the command:

username TEST privilege 15 password TEST

By adding that 'privilege 15' bit in the middle, when you login using that username you will automatically go into enable mode, without having to also type in 'en' and the other password.

~Everest

mattcalderon Tue, 03/25/2008 - 04:15

To disable telnet:

config t

line vty 0 4

no login

To delete the username:

just add a no to the previous username commands

no username test

And to save the config Issue one of these 2 commands

copy run start

or

write memory

mattcalderon Wed, 03/26/2008 - 05:10

No there will be no affect on your network by issuing this command! It is perfectly normal to issue this command during business hours.

After i create the username user1, password and enable the console access, i am able to go in to the router 2600 by using the username and user password.

However, after i issue #no username user1 to remove user and log out from router, it still will prompt me for username. After i key in the username and password, i am unable to go in. May i know how come? Please help me to solve. It is a serious issue...

mohammedmahmoud Mon, 04/07/2008 - 00:21

Hi,

Unfortunately it seems that you have denied your self access to the router, please correct me; now your lines are configured with "login local" and you have remove the configured username ?

Your first hope is that you haven't saved your configuration, and thus you can reload the router, your second hope is that you didn't configure login local under the console, and thus please try to access the route via console, if not then unfortunately you need to go for a password recovery, please check the below document:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/index.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_2500.html

To prevent this from happening again, please be aware that removing the username and password is not a wise action, just exit the session, removing the username won't log you out, it removed the availability for you to login to the router.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

After i create the username user1, i configured the login local for it. I issued #no username user1 on the console to remove the user when i felt that the username was not so "meaningful". Consequently, i use the #copy run start to save the configuration.

I thought i can straight away access the router by using enable password after removing the username. Nevertheless, it prompted me the username to login again.

I think I have denied the access to the router.

I need to schedule a down time on that router and recover it back.

mohammedmahmoud Mon, 04/07/2008 - 03:32

Hi Swee,

Unfortunately yes, wish you good luck recovering the router.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Actions

This Discussion