Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ssweehin
Level 1
Level 1

May i know how to set the login username for cisco2600? I only know how to set the password.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The command above:

>username TEST password TEST

along with the line:

>line con 0

>login local

will prompt you for the username (TEST) and password (TEST) when you first try to console into the router. This will put you into the 'view' mode. To get into 'enable' mode where you can make changes, when you type "en" it will again ask you for a password. This is the password which is set using either of the following commands:

>enable password PASSWORD

>enable secret PASSWORD

This password is what I think you are referring to when you call it the 'default password'.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

Go into config t mode and create your users

username test password test

line con 0

login local

line vty 0 4

login local

This will enable you to use the local users that you have created.

From this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1818/products_configuration_example09186a0080204528.shtml#config-local

for that router, it already has the default password. If i create the user name inside, will it use back the defalt password?

are you talking about the enable password or the console password?

The enable password will remain the same, but if you enable local authentication at the console level, then that's what will be used. If you had a different console password it will be ignored for local authentication. Same goes for vty lines

Please Rate helpful posts.

cisco2600#config t

cisco2600#enable username User1

Is it like that?

for that router, it already has the default password. If i create the user name inside, will it use back the defalt password?

default password for what? When you telnet or when you console in?

cisco2600#config t

cisco2600username User1 password testpassword

The above commands only create the users.

you have to apply them to a console or vty line.

when i console in, i need to type >en. Then, it will prompt me for password. This is what i mean for default passsword.

The command above:

>username TEST password TEST

along with the line:

>line con 0

>login local

will prompt you for the username (TEST) and password (TEST) when you first try to console into the router. This will put you into the 'view' mode. To get into 'enable' mode where you can make changes, when you type "en" it will again ask you for a password. This is the password which is set using either of the following commands:

>enable password PASSWORD

>enable secret PASSWORD

This password is what I think you are referring to when you call it the 'default password'.

Hi,

The explaination is quiet clear. Thanks. May i know whether more than 1 username can be created per router?

Yes, you can add more than one username per router. Just repeat the command, but put in a different username -- it will then keep both.

Remember, to make this active, you need to add:

line con 0 ;for use when consoling in

login local

line vty 0 4 ;for use when telnetting in

login local

Also, another option is to use an extended form of the command:

username TEST privilege 15 password TEST

By adding that 'privilege 15' bit in the middle, when you login using that username you will automatically go into enable mode, without having to also type in 'en' and the other password.

~Everest

How to disable the telnet fuction for all the users in the router?

Hi,

The explaination is quiet clear. Thanks. May i know whether more than 1 username can be created per router?

See post, above.

How to disable the telnet fuction for all the users in the router?

If i want to delete the username, what is he command to do it?

1 more question. If i want to save the configuration setting, do i need to type #copy-run start?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card