Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest access for vendors/clients

rileymartin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a single AP setup using PEAP with MS Win2k3 IAS/RADIUS. I would like outside vendors and clients to be able to come in and be able to access the Internet as well as a printer. I believe in order to authenticate with PEAP the laptop must be a member of the domain which we can't do with vendors and clients. I'm new to wireless so I'm lost as how to set this up. If anyone is familiar with how to do this I would really appreciate some direction. Thanks in advance.

Riley

15 Replies 15

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Riley (I found you)

Can you explain the setup a little further. Are you using Wireless LAN Controllers to manage your APs?

Many thx

Ken

Thank you for the help. This is all new to me so I'm really lost.

All I have is a single AP, nothing else. It's a Cisco Aironet 1200 Series AP a/b/g.

I was able to configure the AP and IAS/RADIUS/CA for PEAP and that's working.

However I have some laptop users who can't be members of the domain. I'm not 100% sure but I think in order for PEAP to work the laptops must be added to the domain.

I read about something called 'Guest' access. I thought I could setup another authentication method in addition to PEAP for these non-domain member laptops. Even though it's less secure I wanted to give them access to some internal resources as well as the Internet.

The one thing that I have found out in the last couple of days is that if you are using a radius server, that has to be part of the domain (if its a MS opsys) if you are granting corporate access.

If you are using a Cisco ACS and as the ACS is a Cisco applicance, you have to have a remote agent that the ACS forwards the PEAP-MSCHAPv2 request onto, and the RA is on a box within the domain. Then the RA forwards it to your active directory controller.

For guest access, would you want the guests to be part of your coparate domain?

What you need is the CUWN archetecture where you have controllers on campus where the APs/AP are managed from and then controllers in your internet DMZs (as per cisco design guides) but I dont think this is helping you much.

The reason for this is so that you seperate your corp/guest wifi traffic with the use of LWAPP tunnels so that a guest user cannot access corp resources.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns279/c649/ccmigration_09186a00808d9330.pdf

?

I hope this was not too useless, but like you, I am a newbie to all of this :))

HTHs,

Ken

I wish I understood all that. All I have is a single AP. Is there a simple way to just add a 2nd authentication method? I think I read I would need a 2nd SSID and perhaps create a VLAN?

You should create another SSID for guest and that will map to a different vlan just for guest. Then you can configure ACL's on your L3 to deny certain traffic from the guest net to your internal net.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for your help.

Since I can't use PEAP for non-domain computers, what would you say would be the next best choice for a secure wireless connection for those laptops that I can't make members of the domain?

If you have ACS then you can use the DB in ACS to authenticate users. With IAS, users will have to be in the domain. If you have to secure the wifi network without using 802.1x, I would suggest using WPA2-PSK. You can always change this weekly and hand the info to your vendors and others who need access. However, if some users do not have support for WPA2, then you might have to go with WPA-PSK which has been compromised already.

-Scott

Hi Fella5 :)

If you do this with a single AP, do you have to configure the AP as a trunk to the switch and carry both VLANs over the trunk?

This is an interesting topic.

Many thx

Ken

If the installation is LWAPP then the AP would be on an access port since the traffic flows to the WLC and then trunked to a switch. If the AP is in autonomous mode, then you will have to have a 802.1q trunk between the AP and the switchport. Native vlan would be the management subnet the AP is on.

-Scott

I have a single Aironet 1200 Series Access Point and on the 'Express Security' page it shows Static WEP Key, EAP Authentication and WPA so I don't think it supports WPA2.

Do you know how I could keep the PEAP authentication as well as add a 2nd authentication method such as WPA-PSK?

Perhaps I could only enable the WPA-PSK when vendors/clients are onsite and then disable it when they leave.

AP#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, C1200 Software (C1200-K9W7-M), Version 12.3(8)JEA, RELEASE S

OFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 23-Aug-06 16:42 by kellythw

ROM: Bootstrap program is C1200 boot loader

BOOTLDR: C1200 Boot Loader (C1200-BOOT-M) Version 12.2(8)JA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RE

LEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Cairny-AP uptime is 3 weeks, 5 days, 23 hours, 18 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System restarted at 09:13:49 est Tue Mar 4 2008

System image file is "flash:/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-8.JEA/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-8.JEA"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

cisco AIR-AP1210 (PowerPC405GP) processor (revision A0) with 15138K/12

36K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FOC074214X8

PowerPC405GP CPU at 196Mhz, revision number 0x00C4

Last reset from power-on

1 FastEthernet interface

2 802.11 Radio(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:0E:38:23:C8:E7

Part Number : 73-8704-05

PCA Assembly Number : 800-23211-06

PCA Revision Number : A0

PCB Serial Number : FOC074214X8

Top Assembly Part Number : 800-23304-03

Top Assembly Serial Number : FHK0744J2K6

Top Revision Number : A0

Product/Model Number : AIR-AP1210

Configuration register is 0xF

AP#

You only can have one authentication method per ssid. You could disable the WPA-PSK, but that would be a daily activity.

-Scott

Can I have multiple SSIDs configured for the same device or for different radios on the same device?

Yes... you can have the same ssid on either the 2.4GHz or 5 GHz radio. You can also have different ssid's per radio. You can have up to 8 SSID's, but recommended is 4.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card