configuration issue

Unanswered Question
Mar 25th, 2008

We currently have ntp sevrers defined in network as ip address, we need to change ntp server ip address and I though I would configure them in router and switches as their DNS name and then change the ip address in the server. When I go do that it shows still ntp with its ip address instead of a name and in Cisco 3560 it doesn't like ntp server <name>.

Any idea what could be wrong. I have dns server and ip domain-name is already defined.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
guruprasadr Tue, 03/25/2008 - 06:31

HI Nawas, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

If i am not wrong in understanding your question,

You required to Configure the new NTP Server and also would like to configure a DNS Server to for resolution.

>> Configure the NTP Server & initiate some interesting traffic for the Server (using PING)

>> Execute show NTP associations

>> ip domain-name

>> Check from your LAN Segment in some PC's whether the NSLOOKUP occurs for the domain-name.

>> So the ip domain-name should work

Pls clarify more on your question. Pls Rate if HELPS.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

nawas Tue, 03/25/2008 - 06:38

No, this is not what I meant. I already have ntp and dns sever definied in my touers and switches. I need to replace ntp sevrer ip address configuration with its name for example I have

ntp server and I need to replace this with and Cisco 3560 doesn't like this command. I have Cisco 6509 with CatOS, they take the command but when i do show config it show ntp server instead of ntp

This Discussion