Views
Helpful
Replies

What is an ATM?

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

May i ask someone to please clarify the word "atm" please?.

I am disturbed by how the term is used and would like to know if this is a technology like frame-relay, mpls or its a device?, because i have heard sometimes called an "atm" switch.

Thank you all

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

ATM is a layer 2 technology in the way frame-relay is a layer 2 technology. It use SVC's (Switched Virtual Circuits) and PVC's (Permanent Virtual Circuits) to transfer data.

An ATM switch is just a switch that runs ATM just like a Frame Relay switch runs frame-relay.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for the help and the prompt response.

May i ask further if a router could be use/converted to an atm switch just it's possible with frame-relay?.

I mean a router like 2225 series?

Thank you

Not as far as i know unfortunately. You need a dedicated ATM switch.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for the help and the prompt response.

May i ask further if a router could be use/converted to an atm switch just it's possible with frame-relay?.

I mean a router like 2522 series?

Thank you

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Jon's information, I highly suggest you take the time and read this Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asynchronous_Transfer_Mode

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi,

A very big thanks to both of you (Jon and Edison)for unraveling the mistery behind atm, the web link is very much intuitive.

Thanks a "Terabyte"

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card