Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

config vlan

Hello,

We have on our switches VLAN's for data and telephony. All locations are connected switch to switch with fiber except for one location, we have a leased line connectec with two 1600 cisco routers. Now this has IOS release 12.0 or so. Vlan is only possible for :The following Cisco routers support the Extended VLAN ID feature:

•Cisco 800 series routers, including models 851, 857, 871, 876, 877, 878

•Cisco 1700 series routers, including models 1711, 1712, 1751, 1751V, 1760

•Cisco 1800 series routers, including models 1801, 1802, 1803, 1811, 1812, 1841

•Cisco 2600 series routers, including models 2610XM, 2611XM, 2620XM, 2621XM, 2650XM, 2651XM, 2691

•Cisco 2800 series routers, including models 2801, 2811, 2821, 2851

Vlan is possible since IOS release 12.4.

Would it work if I upgrade the 1600's with this IOS or is it just hardware that it is dependent from?

Or is their an alternative way to seperate this telephony en data traffic with both other ranges?

greetz,

Martin Rockefeller

4 Replies 4

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

You want to configure VLAN's?

Wouldn't you want to configure them on your switches and not your router?

What kind of switches do you have, L2 or L3?

Yes, on the routers because it's a leased line and the router cannot do the trick without it.

I figgered it out myself, it's not possible with the router, or you should use proxyARP routing on the telephony network but it won't work because the telephones do a ftp to the telephonecentral to get IP from DHCP tel.central. Bridging is also not an option I guess because with the VLAN situations and you also cannot use tagging for this other problem than. als Qos is not available then , so best option is two new routers I guess.

grtz.M.

Why can you not do VLAN on the switches?

The lease line should have nothing to do with the VLAN. The lease line is your access out to the outside world, either another network or internet, which is another network.

I guess I do not understand your topology enough to know what you are trying to do.

Are you saying that you cannot do intervlan routing on the router or trying to bypass the switches and do all VLAN on the router?

On the switches it's no problem all the vlan's are configered but the router is the problem, doesn't support it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco