cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

German ISDN Voice

jdsalminen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2821 router in Germany configured as a H323 gateway and is attached to an ISDN PRI line. The E1 PRI line is configured with primary-net5 ISDN switch type.

The problem is that about 5 inbound calls from the German ISDN network arrive with one digit short in the 'called number' field and more specifically the missing digit is the last digit in the number which makes it unique and routable to a specific destination. As a workaround I put in a dial peer that has a wildcard to catch these calls and send them to office main number, but unfortunately some of these calls that come in with the last digit missing are fax machines.

Does anyone currently have Cisco voice routers in place in any part of Germany? What ISDN switching type are you using? Have you ever encountered inbound calls with the most significant digit missing?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ahhh the post from iptuser makes me realize that you may be very well just need "isdn overlpa-receiving", as germany has a variable-length dialplan. Proof of that, would be setups with the missing digit comes without "Sending complete IE" and is followed within 1 or 2 seconds by an info IE with the last digit.

Not having catch that before makes me bonk head on the keyboard.... sorry.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which exact IOS are you running ? Whta is the missing digit, example, your number including area code is 0123456, what do do you receive ?

My IOS is 12.3(14)T7. A sample of a failed number is

Called Party Number i = 0xC1, '11101'

All the direct inward dial numbers are at least six digits like '111012'.

That is be the first time I hear of such a problem, on the other handle Is not that I can know all the bugs. Taking an isdn q921 raw debug would show all what is sent, but I suggest you try to upgrade first to 12.4(3j).

Thank you for your advice so far. Is there any particular reason why you suggest upgrading to 12.4 IOS?

s5rch
Level 1
Level 1

Im not sure if this will work but you can try it before upgrading the IOS.

1.Have you performed a Q931 debug and you know for sure the LEC is sending the proper amount of digits? If you not sure a Q931 debug will show you. If they are not sending the proper amount of digits then I would call them and get the issue correct via the LEC (carrier).

2. If they are sending you the proper amount of digits and its the router cutting the digit off. I would add "forward-digit all" or "forward-digit 6" (or forward-digit X (x representing the number of digits you need to see)to all of your incoming dial-peers.

I have several q931 debug sessions. In each session there are many inbound calls that work properly, but then sporadically there are these calls with 5 digits instead of 6.

When I contacted the local phone company they said that Cisco routers do not work very well with German ISDN. I don't know of any other company that is using Cisco IP Telephony in Germany so I couldn't verify that claim.

On a side note I have the same routers and software in several other western European countries and I have never encountered this issue elsewhere.

Can you send "show controllers e1" ?

Cisco routers work with ISDN all over the world since 1992 circa, and the claim from telco is a blatant attempt to shift responsibility.

Anyway to be on the safe side you should upgrade first to the stable mainline image that I've suggested before.

I can post the E1 controller output, but each time I look it is clean; no clock slips, etc.

Another piece of troubleshooting info I have is that the only inbounds that are ever affected are those that originate within Germany. Calls from outside of Germany always work which leads to my frustration because I cannot reproduce the problem since I am not in Germany.

I think the router is OK and the problem is in telco, of course they will never ever admit that.

There is only one solution, have them come onside with their analyzer and you have people make calls to prove that sometime one digits is lost.

However to be on the safe side I would upgrade IOS before.

You amy wish to check if they have advertised any of the numbers. In Europe- Italy, Luxembourg, Austria and Germany they do not have fixed DDI numbers. You could have a DDI with +3912341291 for the switchboard and +391234129112 for a DN. Both are correct. to resolve it you may need a TP in the gatway to pick out the exact digit such /$291$ so to pick out the exact switchboard number and then maybe translate it to a dummy number on the swb, all other numbers goes through- +3912341291123, +3912341291324 ?

Ahhh the post from iptuser makes me realize that you may be very well just need "isdn overlpa-receiving", as germany has a variable-length dialplan. Proof of that, would be setups with the missing digit comes without "Sending complete IE" and is followed within 1 or 2 seconds by an info IE with the last digit.

Not having catch that before makes me bonk head on the keyboard.... sorry.

Thanks again for the input.

I was investigating a lead I received from another engineer. He mentioned using PRIMARY-QSIG switching type instead of PRIMARY-NET5.

Any advice about QSIG vs NET5?

No, please keep primary-net5 and just add "isdn overlap-receiving". Let us know!

The issue persists. I have attached the debug q931 output of three of these calls with the missing 6th digit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: