Helpful
Replies

FXO Line Monitor on IP Phone

DeonLouwBotha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In need of some help,

SMB Company uses standard telephone lines from the telco (FXO) there are 10 employees and 6 lines no dedicated lines to any employee all shared using dial 0 for external line.

They want to be able to use the Cisco 7960 + 7914 at the front desk to monitor both who is on the phone internally + which telco line they are using (telco not reliable and its the only way to monitor if a line becomes faulty which happens often).

I have the internal part of the solution implemented but the telco line monitoring just isn't happening.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Deon

2 Replies 2

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

When you say your line is not reliable. Does the router show the status of the affected circuit when there is an outage?

i.e. Does the FXO port show as operational?

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply,

The Router does not show the status of the affected circuit whether it is attached, online, offline, on-hook, off-hook.

The router tries to place calls to circuits that are not connected or the circuit is broken and only then does it give an error and roll over to the next available.

It does place the incoming and outgoing calls though. There is just no active monitoring of the circuits it seems.

This could be a problem but still not the end of the world shutdown unused voice ports and only have populated ports online that have physical lines attached to them.

The circuits should work in a perfect world anyway and the resultant shared voice lines are divided amongst employees thereby I don't know how to map voice ports to ephone-dn's other than using trunking which doesn't support trasfer and forward because of a one-to-one relationship.

I need another way/method to get what I want that doesn't result in a one-to-one relationship between phones and lines while still giving me a status of the circuit in essense on the receptionist desk phone.

This is a shot in the dark and I may be chasing my tail.

Thanks

Deon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: