cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast paging on CME to include FXS

bascheew
Level 1
Level 1

Using CME and a VG224. I need a way to call a paging-dn and have it broadcast over all the IP phones in that paging group in addition to an FXS port on the VG224. I have registered the port on the VG224 to the CME via SCCP so I can fully manage the pseudo ephone in CME. I've added the ephone to the paging group but it never picks up when I make a paging call. If I call the DN directly the FXS port picks up and the overhead paging works fine.

I'm speculating that because a paging-dn is using multicast that perhaps the VG224 doesn't know how to interpret that multicast to the voice-port. Although theoretically the voice-port now has a mac-address and should be able to recieve multicasts.

Any thoughts on this? If I could somehow call both the paging-dn and the FXS ephone-dn at the same time then I might be able to brute force this to work how I need it!

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

you know, in fact I think the signaling that makes an ip phone to auto-answer a paging call, is not multicast, but unicast tcp (skinny).

What is multicast for sure is the rtp that carries the voice, but that comes after the phone has answered the call, thing that in case of the FXS port doesn't happen.

So we should check first that the VG224 supports paging calls first, which exact IOS do you have on it ?

Thank you for your quick reply. The IOS version on the VG224 is "12.4(11)XW5"

Any call placed out that FXS port will be auto-answered by the paging system. Perhaps the paging system doesn't see the initial unicast signaling as a call and so it never picks up?

bascheew
Level 1
Level 1

I've done some further investigation and when I run: "show stcapp device voice-port 2/0" there is

a line in the output says: "Last Event: STCAPP_DC_EV_MEDIA_START_MCAST_RECEPT"

I'm guessing this means the SCCP FXS port received a multicast as its last event. It never picks up though.

So this lead me to run: "debug voip application stcapp all"

And when I call the paging number I see the following:

*Mar 5 00:13:54.704 UTC: 2/0 : ==> Received event:STCAPP_DC_EV_MEDIA_START_MCAST_RECEPT

*Mar 5 00:13:54.704 UTC: 2/0 : Call State:IDLE

*Mar 5 00:13:54.704 UTC: 2/0 : Uninteresting event

Were you ever able to get the paging to work? I would like to set up the same type of scenario, and I also cannot get the paging device to pick up on the FXS port.

We never got it to work despite a case with the TAC and trying SCCP registered ports and dial-peer ports. We ended up creating 2 paging numbers, one that went to the IP phones via a paging group and the other that was just a DN that called the paging system and thankfully the customer was satisfied with this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: