Failed ICND1

Unanswered Question
Mar 25th, 2008

Hi,

Took and failed the ICND1 test today and feel a bit frustrated although also encouraged by some of the posts. I used Wendell Odom's Guide 2nd Ed to study for it and Ciscos's CCNA Prep Center resources.

I seem to have done poorly on small routed networks, id'ing security threats, and operation of data networks (scored 779/804). However, I felt confused on the sim questions which took too much of my time so couldn't finish all questions.

Anyway, any suggestions on complementary practice tests and/or study materials will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
celticfc2007 Tue, 03/25/2008 - 15:54

Hi,

Sorry you didn't pass. I'm sure you'll nail next time!

I'm taking the ICND1 soon. I'm using the same book as you, but I'm also using other resources, such as:

video mentor

some trail signal videos

sybex book

ccna flash card book

prep center

boson test sim

my lab

router sim

You might find a better response from someone more qualified--meaning they have ther CCENT or higher already; but my advice is this.

1. Be prepared, anything that you have studied that you feel is a weakness, spend the time improving to make it a strength.

2. Be flexible, if you have an eta of when your going to take the test, but your not quite ready, then reschedule if you have to.

3. Multiple resources, IMO its good to use resources from different vendors, because some of the wording/terminology might be different.

My suggestions go beyond the assumed basics, of effective studying, memorizing certain facts/concepts, practicing with a lab or similar, and taking periodic exam sims to validate your perceived skill level.

For the ICND2, I know a lot of people have trouble with ACLs, so for me I'm going to make sure I'm fully prepared to deal with ACLs.

I wish you all the best, good luck!

gilcisco1 Wed, 03/26/2008 - 05:49

Hi Celtic,

First of all, I much appreciate your words of encouragement and advice.

Secondly, it sounds like I probably needed much more practice and from different sources. Thus, I will keep at it and -if you don't mind- I might send a question your way if needing so. Thanks again, good luck on your test, and post how it went Etc.

svermill Tue, 03/25/2008 - 17:10

Hey Gil,

779 aint too shabby - especially since you didn't even finish. Question for you:

Can you move backward and forward in this exam? That was never an option years ago but when I took the CCIE written last summer I was very surprised to learn that I could return to previous questions.

"Time management" was almost exclusively a CCIE lab concern years ago. But it seems Cisco has introduced this element into all exams at all levels. That being the case, it only seems fair to give you some time management tools such as the ability to move past a difficult or just simply time-consuming question and then, time permitting, return to it later.

If that's an option, then I think you can come up with a pretty obvious strategy. If it's not an option, then focus some thought on an upper time cutoff for any one single question. I know I have really let some low-point questions/tasks that I just "knew" I could work out eventually really get the best of me and steal time that could have been spent answering later questions that I would have known how to answer on contact.

Seems like you were really, really close and so I think you'll have better luck next go...

Cheers,

Scott

gilcisco1 Wed, 03/26/2008 - 05:59

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply.

No, I wasn't able to "mark for review" as they won't allow to go back on the questions.

I'd like to ask, do you think I should better focus on the CCNA test instead of the CCND1/2 approach? If so, any good materials/simulations in addtition to the ones mentioned you recommend?

Thank you again.

svermill Wed, 03/26/2008 - 11:03

Hey Gil,

OK, well, that's too bad. So you'll just have to work out an upper cutoff. Of course, if you work out some average time per question, and you fly straight through 10 questions, then I think it's fair to give yourself some extra time on a particularly difficult task. But you get the gist.

As for the 1/2 vs single CCNA exam question, it's a tough call. There was only the CCNA exam when I took it years ago. Not only are the exams different, I think the entire certification is different (by that I mean that I think it's much more difficult these days than when I took it). I can tell you that when I did my CCNP/DP stuff, I chose to take the individual routing and switching exams vs. the composite option. Although that approach cost me a tad more, I just felt that it allowed me to more tightly focus my studies. As a general rule, I prefer the divide and conquer approach to most problems...

Cheers,

Scott

pankaj_goyal Tue, 03/25/2008 - 21:22

Hello

The method outlined by celticfc is indeed the best. Work on your weeknesses, use multiple sources, practice enough and you can reach the shores.

Time management is important thing. This can be achieved by lot of practice. Solve as many questions as you can lay your hands on (books, prep center site, etc), practice all the configurations on sims if you do not have access to hardware.

Also one more point i would like to make is that do not take infinite time doing this. Set mentally a date for taking the exam and start working towards it. Not doing this, you'll only keep prolonging your study time, which may not be as useful as one tends to think.

All the best.

Regards

Pankaj

gilcisco1 Wed, 03/26/2008 - 07:34

Hello Pankaj and thank you for replying.

Yes, it sounds I will need to practice much more so I can improve my response time on the sims. As I asked Scott, what are your thoughts on the CCND1/2 tests approach instead of going for the CCNA test?

schantze27 Wed, 03/26/2008 - 07:26

Just keep hammering away at the 160 question Boson test engine included in Odom's ICND1 book until you are consitantly getting over 90% each time. Do some custom exams with 60 questions and the time limit, again 90% or better consistantly. Review topics that you are weak on at CCNA TV. On the test you should be able to answer the multiple choice questions fairly quickly if you know the material and will have plenty of time for the sims. I passed the ICND1 first attempt a couple of weeks ago following these methods and had 20 minutes left when I finished exam. Hammer away at those practice exams, really focusing on the underlying concepts until you are sick of them. Best of luck.

wangziying Mon, 04/07/2008 - 19:21

I passed ,but I can't received the paper ,how can I deal with it ? Thank you !

Actions

This Discussion