cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

clocking with many vwics

SBCdd7343
Level 1
Level 1

We have a router that is going to have varios connections. I need help understanding how to appropriatly setup the clocking.

First, we have a single PRI coming in from Telco into a vwic-2mft1 (on port one - 0/0/0). I assume that it is this port that I need to do the network-clock-select 1 t1 0/0/0

Then port 2 on the same vwic, will have a cross-over connection to a NM-1CEIt1 port (this is a workaround for the purpose of sending modem calls destined for onboard pvdm12-dm). So I assume that I will select port two off first vwic-2mft to "participate" and also set the NM-1CE1T1 to "participate".

Then we have a second vwic-2mft which on the first port will connect to frame-relay cloud and the second will also connect to a frame-relay cloud.

Is this as simple as setting "network-clock-select 1 t1 0/0/0 (which is pri from telco) then set all others to "paticipate"? Please let me know if below is correct.

network-clock-participate wic 0

network-clock-participate wic 1

network-clock-participate wic 2

network-clock-select 1 T1 0/0/0

Lastly I tried to get the NM-1CE1T1 to "participate" but got the error "Slot is empty or does not support clock participate".

Your responses are greatly apprecaited.

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That appears correct. The NM doesn not need clock participate. Set clock source internal on the vwic port that connects to the NM, default line on the NM.

Then check if you're getting slips somewhere. If telcos are off the same master clock, you should not.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Paulo,

Since I need to set the 2nd port on first vwic (the port that will connect to NM) do I need to remove the command network-clock-participate wic 1?

I went in under controller t1 0/0/1 (which is the port that will connect to NM) and applied clock source line. But question is, does the originally command for this port need to be removed (network-clock-participate wic 1).

Thanks for your help as always.

No, please leave network-clock-participate for all the vwic's in all and any case. At most you may want to define a lesser priority network-clock-select circuit in case the first goes down.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!