Views
Helpful
Replies

span port on the Cat 6509 question

kope
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

When i span some interfaces on the Cat 6509, i am only getting the first interface as bi-directional; the rest of the interfaces are shown receive only.

Can I span all the ports as bi-directional?

Below is what i copied from the switch:

monitor session 2 source interface gigabitEthernet 6/1 - 3 , gigabitEthernet 6/5 - 6 both

% This platform allows a maximum of 1 TX monitor interface(s)

#sh monitor

Session 1

---------

Type : Service Module Session

Session 2

---------

Type : Local Session

Source Ports :

RX Only : Gi6/2-3,Gi6/5-6

Both : Gi6/1

Destination Ports : Gi6/19

2 Replies 2

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

This error "% This platform allows a maximum of 1 TX monitor interface(s) " is why you can only have 1 TX monitor interface.

Not too sure of that error though. May need more info about your 6509.

What IOS are you running?

Found this error message:

Error Message SPAN-4-TXOVFL: This platform allows a maximum of [dec] TX monitor

interface(s).

Explanation This message means that the number of interfaces being monitored in the transmit direction exceeds the maximum number allowed on this switch. All interfaces beyond the number allowed are ignored. [dec] is the maximum interfaces allowed for monitoring in the transmit direction.

Recommended Action Enter the show monitor privileged EXEC command to determine which interfaces were actually configured. Make the necessary configuration changes so that the configured interfaces do not exceed the allowed maximum. Be aware that the interfaces that were actually configured are a subset of the interfaces that were requested to be configured.

At this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/sem2/system/message/emfsnmp.html#wp353565

kope
Level 1
Level 1

ios is running on:

Version 12.2(17d)SXB11a

thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: