Views
Helpful
Replies

is up, line protocol is down

tylerlucas
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a 2801 sitting here.

When I 'sh int', both FastEth interfaces show "interface is up, line protocol is down".

The thing is, nothing is plugged into either one... Shouldn't they both be down/down due to physical issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tyler

It is a subtle difference between router code and switch code.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

kris55s
Level 1
Level 1

"interface up" means it is admined up. Do a "shutdown" command on the interface and it will show as down/down.

Tyler

Actually for Ethernet/FastEthernet interfaces it is normal for them to show as up/down when nothing is plugged in. Is it just that it is different from what you expected, or is there some problem involved with this?

Kristen

If you do a shutdown on the interface it will show as admin down, which is not quite the same as down/down.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yep, you're right Rick. I forgot about that. :)

Thanks for the quick replies.

With nothing plugged in, I was expecting down/down....

When will an interface show down/down (not admin down/down)???

I thought that the first up/down was the physical layer status, and the line protocol was the layer 2 status...

Tyler

What you describe (interface up/down is the physical layer and line protocol up/down is the layer 2 status) is the case for most serial interfaces. It is not the case for Ethernet/FastEthernet interfaces. I am not sure what it would take for an Ethernet/FastEthernet to show down/down.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting.

Why does a switch show down/down on fastethernet interfaces when nothing is plugged in, then?

Tyler

It is a subtle difference between router code and switch code.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your help rburts!

Tyler

I am glad that my information has been helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will read responses which did resolve the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is interesting conversation.

On the other hand, if you disable "keepalive" in the router ethernet interface, both physical and protocol will show up/up

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: