cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Client radio configuration

tdieterich
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that has laptops with an a/b/g client. Their standard configuration is to have both the a, and the b/g radios and set to auto with no preference set. The customer is complaining that their clients "disconnect and reconnect alot" I see in the WLC that the clients switch from a to g rather often. I know there may be a number of reasons why the clients drop, but I am wondering if they should "lock" themselves into one radio, or at least set a preference if they can.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There can be many causes to your issues. What you should do is try to pin point if this happens everywhere or in certain areas. If This happens to all clients or specific clients. Customers tend to exaggerate the situation.... You might also look to see if the ap's are changing channels because this can also cause clients to re-authenticate. I would go there and test it out with your laptop to see if it happens to you. Checking the clients wireless profile is something you should do also, just to verify for yourself.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I understand there may be many reasons why the clients drop and connect. What I am really looking for is having both the a and b/g radios running at the same time makes sense, or is not best practices.

It is totally normal to have both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz enabled on each AP. You are just one of the few that have issues with client performance.

Usually when there is issues on the 2.4GHZ due to interference is when setting the client to 5GHz ideal.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card