We have LMS2.6 using

Common Servics

Device Fault Manager

CiscoView

Device Troubleshootin

Campus Manager

RME

Network Performance Monitor

Are there any precautions to take before upgrading to the latest versions using Software Center?

17 Replies 17

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're on Windows, be sure to set the per-user and global TEMP and TMP environment variables to short values like C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, then disable all anti-virus software.

Is it ok to just schedule the install and let it go without problems?

Also,

If I want to add the sceurity management components, can that be done also, or will I need to purchase additional modules:

Resource Manager Essentials

Management Center for Firewalls

Auto Update Server

Management Center for IDS Sensors

Management Center for VPN Routers Management Center for Cisco Security Agents

Monitoring Center for Security

Monitoring Center for Performance

CiscoView

CiscoWorks Server

CSM will need to be installed on its own server separate from LMS. CSM is a separate purchase from LMS.

Provided your doing a quiet installation, you can schedule it. Just make sure the installation is running as a local Administrator.

Not sure what you mean by quiet install.

How do I make sure the install is running as local admin, is that part of the job being scheduled?

Can I install the upgrades one module at a time?

You would need to create an answer file, and run the install with the QUIET argument. However, this may not work properly for all 2.6 apps.

I don't really know how you're planning to schedule these installations. We typically don't see customers doing this. I had assumed this was something your organization was familiar with doing.

You MUST install the application upgrades one at a time.

Scheduling is not somethat that is neccesary,

I was just thinking of installation in general, I want to take all precaution to prevent any problems.

I have not done an upgrade on these applications so I want to avoid any problem like after the fact finding out that I should not have done it via RDP, it should have been done directly on the server.

I selected to download only what is on the server and got three packages:

cmf

cvw

rme

All are zipped files.

Can they be installed from the CiscoWorks Interface where they were downloaded from.

Or maybe I should have looked for an upgrade document? Is there one of those?

When you unzip the files there should be a PDF explaining how to upgrade. You can do the upgrades over RDP provided you are logged in as a local Administrator. They cannot be installed from within CiscoWorks. You must install them from the OS.

I appreciate the pronpt reply.

Do the three packages I mentioned have everything needed from what I have on the server:

We have LMS2.6 using

Common Servics

Device Fault Manager

CiscoView

Device Troubleshooting

Campus Manager

RME

Network Performance Monitor

There are two different pieces of software you can download through Software Center. The first are device updates. These are only applicable for Common Services, RME, and CiscoView. Based on your previous list, it sounds like that is what you've done. These can be installed through the web interface.

The second type of update is a software update. Currently, there are updates for Common Services (3.0.6), RME (4.0.6), DFM (2.0.10), and Campus Manager (4.0.10). These can only be installed from the OS.

Sorry joe for the questions:

Do the software updates cost anythig if you have a valid cco account?

No, they are all freely downloadable. You can get them either through the Common Services Software Center or from Cisco.com at http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/cw2000/lan-planner.shtml .

Jay,

Do I just download the Windows bundle LMS 3.0.1, unzip and install, making sure to use the precautions you stated earlier?

You can't upgrade from LMS 2.6 to 3.0.1. You need to purchase LMS 3.0 first. If you already have 3.0, then, yes, just download the 3.0.1 update, and apply it. For LMS 2.6, most of the updates can be found by going to Common Services > Software Center > Software Update, or by going to each of the applications' downloads sections on Cisco.com. The Common Services 3.0.6 update can only be found at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cd-one-3des .

Jay,

Does this hold true if we have a Smartnet on the CiscoWorks?

Still have to buy the new version?

Have any ballpark figures on the new version?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: