cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show mac / Show arp file parser

glynncounty
Level 1
Level 1

I need some kind of file parser that can combine the output from the show mac-address-table and show arp to make a new output that has the following:

IP address, Mac Address, FastEthernet Port.

Right now I have to compare the two outputs to find what I am looking for and needless to say this is very tedious. I would appreciate it if anyone might have something that works or a link to something similar that I can reverse engineer and get it to do what I need.

7 Replies 7

glynncounty
Level 1
Level 1

I found this which I guess is a Perl script that uses MTRG. If there is anybody that uses this I would appreciate any advice on great ways to apply this.

show arp on your layer 3 device will show it. You'll just see the trunk interface for access layer switches though. There are tools out there that can help with this. Take a look at Solarwinds Engineers Edition Toolset.

CORE12#sh arp

Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware

Internet 10.10.1.1 2 0013.21b1.3ca2 ARPA Vlan611

HTH

okay.. pulled the show arp from my router and a show mac-address-table from the switch. Used microsoft access to combine them. Now how can I trace down to the actual interface of the switch the ip or mac etc... is on by following the trunks?

Okay. That works great for a single address. I guess what I am trying to get is the overall picture of everything that is on our network.

Here's a command that might be more helpful.

show mac address-table

and

show mac address-table ?

Yes I use that one as well just shows the cam table... Problem is the port can be a learned port and not actual port the pc is plugged into...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card