cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show mac / Show arp file parser

glynncounty
Level 1
Level 1

I need some kind of file parser that can combine the output from the show mac-address-table and show arp to make a new output that has the following:

IP address, Mac Address, FastEthernet Port.

Right now I have to compare the two outputs to find what I am looking for and needless to say this is very tedious. I would appreciate it if anyone might have something that works or a link to something similar that I can reverse engineer and get it to do what I need.

7 Replies 7

glynncounty
Level 1
Level 1

I found this which I guess is a Perl script that uses MTRG. If there is anybody that uses this I would appreciate any advice on great ways to apply this.

show arp on your layer 3 device will show it. You'll just see the trunk interface for access layer switches though. There are tools out there that can help with this. Take a look at Solarwinds Engineers Edition Toolset.

CORE12#sh arp

Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware

Internet 10.10.1.1 2 0013.21b1.3ca2 ARPA Vlan611

HTH

okay.. pulled the show arp from my router and a show mac-address-table from the switch. Used microsoft access to combine them. Now how can I trace down to the actual interface of the switch the ip or mac etc... is on by following the trunks?

Okay. That works great for a single address. I guess what I am trying to get is the overall picture of everything that is on our network.

Here's a command that might be more helpful.

show mac address-table

and

show mac address-table ?

Yes I use that one as well just shows the cam table... Problem is the port can be a learned port and not actual port the pc is plugged into...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card