cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

end-to-end Qos

saimbt
Level 1
Level 1

This is my scenario and I want to do end-to-end VoIP QoS. My L2 is a Cisco 3750, L3 being Cisco 6500 and the routers are Cisco 3825

desktop --> phone --->L2 ----> trunk ------> core ----> router ---> router ---> core ---> trunk ---> L2 --> phone --> desktop

Let me know whether my understanding is right

1) On the L2 trust DSCP

2) the switch will do a CoS-DSCP marking

3) on the trunk, VoIP will ve given priority

4) on the L3, write a policy to mark the VoIP network and the relevant voice ports with EF

5) on the L3, write a policy to mark the VoIP network and the relevant voice signalling ports with CS3

6) On the L3, write a policy to mark all other traffic as Best effort.

7) On WAN, trap the EF and CS3 traffic and allocate bandwidth.

Is my logic right?

-Sai.

6 Replies 6

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Sai,

Marking should be done as close to the source as possible. So mark your traffic at the L2 and trust those marking at the L3

In addition to the above, you shoudl tune your interface queues and assign voice to priority queue

HTH

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

On the L2, how will I trap the traffic?

-Sai

Sai,

3750 is a L3 switch :-) Even the L2 switches suppot classification and marking on the ports

Have a look here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_37_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1044742

HTH

Narayan

there is a slight twist. after the L3--> WAN switch --> rtr

what should i be doing on the SVI interface on the L3?

-Sai.

It depends whether you want to do vlan Qos or port level QOS

When you do port level QoS, all you need to ensure is that the trunk ports are configured to trust the markings and interface queues are properly configured

Narayan

the link between the L3 and WAN switch is a L2 link and not a trunk. similarly the link between the wan swittch and rtr is again a l2 link

-Sai.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco