Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance restrictions of line card modules in Cat4503 Chassis

Hello,

we use a 4503 with SupII (WS4013), one WS-X4448 and one WS-X4548.

Concerning the performance of this constellation I found the following information in CCO:

- 4503-Chassis: Backplane 24 Gbps full duplex

- Supervisor Engine II: 24-Gbps, 18 Mpps full-duplex Gigabit Ethernet switching engine

- 4448/4548: 6 Gbps per module to the backplane/supervisor engine (1Gbps per 8 port group)

It would be fine if anybody could tell me:

- how traffic with source and destination on the same line card is switched (also with the sup or directly on the linecard)

- how traffic with source and destination on the same port group of a line card is switched (also with the sup or directly on the linecard)

- if the above mentioned traffic is switched on the linecard itself is there any performance restiction on the linecard or is it non-blocking (48Gbps)

- if there is any difference between the 4448 and 4548 beside the lower power consumption and price of the 4548

Many thanks in advance

Thorsten

1 Reply 1

jcoke
Level 3
Level 3

All traffic, no matter inter/intra linecard/portgroup, is switched by the supervisor. I believe the difference in those line cards is what you stated and the newer card supports Time Domain Reflectometry.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card