Views
Helpful
Replies

Converted 1121AP's stuck on same controller

pic_whizz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've just downgraded our AIR-AP1121G-E-K9 Autonomous AP's to LWAPP using WCS 4.2 I cannot get them to register with another controller. I have manually set the AP to use a Primary and Secondary controller, but once reset the AP always connects to the same Controller. I have tried a factory reset on the AP too with the same result. Our other AP's that are purchased LWAPP's work fine! I can move them around six different controllers!!

The problem seems to be with the downgraded AP's They are running 12.4(10b)JA

Any Ideas??

Cheers,

Matt

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have to make sure you add the SSC to the other WLC. Then the LWAP will be able to join the other WLC.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Oh dear, does this mean I have to manually input all 500 of my converted AP's hash keys into all 8 controllers?

Sounds like a major major issue, unless there is a simple way to correct this now.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Just to add a note to the great info from Scott. You can use the WCS to push this info out to all the WLC's using this method;

Configuring an Access Point Authorization Template

Follow these steps to add an access point authorization template or make changes to an existing template. These templates are devised for Cisco 11xx/12xx series access points converted from IOS to LWAPP or for 1030 access points connecting in bridge mode.

Step 1 Choose Configure > Controller Templates.

Step 2 From the Security selections in the left sidebar menu, choose AP authorization.

Step 3 If you want to add a new template, choose Add Template from the Select a command drop-down menu and click GO. To make modifications to an existing template, click a MAC address in the AP Base Radio MAC column. The AP Authorization Template appears (see Figure 9-12), and the number of controllers the template is applied to automatically populates.

Step 4 Select the Import from File check box if you want to import a file containing access point MAC addresses.

Note You can only import a .csv file. Any other file formats are not supported.

Step 5 Enter the file path from where you want to import the file.

Step 6 Click Save.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/4.0/configuration/guide/wcstemp.html#wp1072945

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob and Scott!

Once into the AP Authorization Template all 500 AP's where there already listed with the hash keys. I simply applied the template to my eight controllers, and then ticked the "Allow SSC-APs" tick box on each controller.

Working great now.

Thanks for your help once again.

Matt :-)

BTW, What are your opions on migrating to WCS & WLC version 5??

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card