cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Created a VLAN Interface, but can not ping it

rwamstutz
Level 1
Level 1

All, I created a VLAN interface on my 3750 switch, but from my PC (which isnt part of that VLAN) I can not ping it. what am I doing wrong?

Vlan99 10.250.1.1 YES manual up up

interface Vlan99

ip address 10.250.1.1 255.255.0.0

16 Replies 16

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

What vlan is the PC in ?

Does the PC vlan have a vlan interface on the 3750.

Is the default-gateway on the PC set to the IP address of the vlan imterface for the PC.

Does the PC have any firewalling.

Do any of the vlan interfaces have access-lists on them.

Is "ip routing" enabled on the 3750.

What is the PC ip address and subnet mask.

Jon

The PC is in the VLAN 100 and has a vlan interface to 100 (data) and 245 (voice)

No firewalling

No access lists

"IP routing" is enabled

the PC ip address is 10.1.250.23 255.255.0.0

send us the "show ver" also the switch config.

Franco

Attached is config and sh version

your PC address should be 10.1.240.23 255.255.0.0 NOT 10.1.250.23 for vlan 100. check out your vlan 100 SVI. it on 10.1.240 not 250. Make sure also yout PC default gateway is 10.1.240.240

intersting. how come i can ping the 245 vlan interface? my other plants have similar configs and i can create vlans with no problem. stumped. my gateway on my pc is 10.1.1.1, which is my router.

you mean you can ping interface Vlan245 ip address 10.245.1.2 from your PC in vlan 100?

have u tried using the ip address i mentioned for your pc? does it work?

yea, i can ping the 245 interface while my pc is in vlan 100, using 10.1.250.x address.

i have not tried changing my ip as you specified, i will do it in the AM AND respond

Francisco, after I changed the gateway to 10.1.240.240, I could ping the VLAN. But I dont understand. At my other facilities with a similar setup, I dont use switch IP as my gateway, but a router as my gateway, and I can create and connect to VLAN's at will. Why do i have have to change my gateway to the IP on the Switch?

If you have a router that you prefer to use that is in the vlan subnet as long as your hosts can see the router in the same subnet (same vlan) then yes your hosts can use it as a gateway instead of your switch SVI. The router will do inter-vlan routing for you as long as it knows how to route to your other subnets. but if the router is in a different subnet (different vlan) then for your host to access other subnets, their gateway should be your switch SVI interface IP. Does that make senses?

yea, I do, but I dont understand how it differs from my other locations where I have a similar setup. Please see attached comparing this config to the previously attached config. Please help me.

ok rwamstutz,

On your Charleston-SWT01 switch, give me an example of two PC's connected that is working according to the way you've mentioned. I need the IP address of the PC's, the vlan they are in and also their gateway ip address to start with and then we can take it from there.

example:

PC with an IP Address of 10.3.250.23, gateway 0f 10.3.1.1 in VLAN 300, can ping PLC with an ip address of 10.220.4.3, gateway 10.220.1.2 in VLAN 301. 10.220.1.2 is SVI on another switch.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do a show vlan , does it show up and active ? You created the layer 3 interface did you create the layer 2 vlan ???

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: