cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC6.x Install using iLO

mikenipp
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had success installing UC6.x on an HP approved server using iLO? When we try, the install blows up halfway through and reboots back into the Red Hat instalation where I can partition the disks. If I complete the installation (in Red Hat) it boots back up Red Hat with full shell access! This only happens when installing through iLO. If you hook up a monitor and stand in front of the server it works fine.

There appears to be a problem with the hardware probing the monitor?? I opened a TAC request but got a line of bull about iLO not being supported for installation. I guess we need to show Cisco how to script a Linux installation properly.

We have 300+ HP servers running all flavors of Windows and Linux and all kinds of applications. We have a lights out data center and install everything remotely with iLO. I guess whenever we want to install or recover a UC6.x system, someone has to get on a plane and fly!

4 Replies 4

mhurley131
Level 4
Level 4

Did you have the cd in the drive, or were you trying to do it with an ISO image?

I did an install a month or two ago of a subscriber CM6.0 w/ 6.1 update using iLO. I'm almost positive i had the CD in the drive, and used ftp to install the update but i may have used an ISO image...i can't remember.

The installation went through for me.

Thanks. I am pretty sure we tried it both ways with the same results. I will verify this. I wonder if it is hardware specific. We are using the HP G3 360's. I will have the guys try it again on another model of approved system and see what happens.

Hi

I had a similar issue today with a Cisco firmware update CD (FWUCD-1.1.1.iso) which updates HDD firmware for some CM models.

It booted fine over iLO as an ISO image, but then at the point where it would normally launch a menu allowing the update it prompted for me to enter a location to find the files from... not good, especially considering this CD seems to be based on the installer for UC7.x....

Really annoying.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Yeah. We ended up having to fly someone to Las Vegas to put a CD in the drive.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: