Views
Helpful
Replies

Encapsulation on Gig Interface

vatsey.sharad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can we set encapsulation dot1q on a Cisco 2800 router's Gi0/0 interface(Physical Interface). If Yes, then how.

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sharad

I believe that the encapsulation dot1q works on subinterfaces but not on the physical interface. Is there some reason why you want the encapsulation command on the physical interface rather than the subinterface?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

I need two VLAN's and configure Inter VLAN Routing. I do not want to configure encapsulation on my subinterfaces. If i enable encapsulation on my Physical Interface, i guess the child (logical) Interfaces will automatically Inherit it. Plz correct if i am wrong.

Sharad

I do not believe that it is correct. If you are going to have 2 VLANs then you will need subinterfaces. And you need the encapsulation command on the subinterface since that is how you identify which VLAN is associated with which subinterface. Why do you want to not configure encapsulation on the subinterface?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card