Views
Helpful
Replies

Understand EOIP Tunnel

dne222
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i've a problem to understand the EOIP tunnel and i don't find the exactly information.

My Question is :

If i have got one internal WLC (20 APs)and 2 external DMZ WLC's (no direct connected APs) and i am configuring the external WLCs for the anchor of two different SSIDs how many EOIP tunnels are running from the internal to the external WLCs ?

For example : 20 AP -> 2 external SSIDs

1)40 EOIPs ? 'cos each AP creates on the internal WLC two EOIPs to the external ?

2) 2 EOIPs 'cos the internal needs to forward only 2 SSIDS to the DMZ Anchors ?

3) other

Many Thanks for help !

1 Reply 1

struttob
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there. I know it can seem confusing at first. This is covered in some detail in several documents, listed below.

The short answer is your choice "3) Other".

The smallest 4402 controller in an anchor controller (dmz) roll can support 40 foreign (internal) controller. Each foreign will build exactly 1 tunnel to a given anchor. If there is more than 1 SSID to be foreign exported (anchored) then it will ride the same tunnel.

Hope this helps.

From SRND:

"The most cost-effective platform to support guest networking in most enterprise deployments is the Cisco 4400 Series controller. Assuming the controller is being deployed to support guest access with EoIP tunnel termination only, the 4402 with support for 12 APs is sufficient because it is assumed the controller is not going to be used to manage LAPs in the network.

A single 4400 Series controller can support EoIP tunnels from up to 40 foreign controllers within the enterprise. Additionally, the 4400 supports up to 2500 simultaneous users and has a forwarding capacity of 2 Gbps."

Start with:

http://www.cisco.com/go/srnd

Have a look at the wireless mobility 4.1 SRND -it is your friend. Look in the section titled "Wireless guest access overview" and "WLAN controller guest access"

Also search cco for "auto anchor mobility" and "configuring guest internet access".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: