cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IBM BladeCenter w/internal Cisco CIGESM switch modules

waljohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone help in configuring the internal Cisco CIGESM modules of an IBM BladeCenter H (BladeCenter H Type MT8852 Product ID: 88524XU. With two each internal Cisco CIGESM modules, 20 port network switches; (16 ports (one for each blade) + 4 external ports) per switch module) to connect to HP Procurve switches, primarily an HP3500yl?

3 Replies 3

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Walker,

Since there is not specific info, the following link provides configuration guides for this blade switch

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6294/tsd_products_support_model_home.html

HTH

Padmanabhan

Thanks for the links. The IOS version that is installed:

(CIGESM-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(22)EA10a, RELEASE SOFTW ARE (fc2) Copyright

(c) 1986-2007 by cisco Systems, Inc.

What we're running into is the lack of HP supporting Cisco's "native vlan" concept and passing 802.1q tagging and an untagged vlan over an interface.

Plus our primary Vlan is VLAN id 1 which is special inside the BladeCenter for management.

There's also a user's tips/rules (attached)that don't agree with capability identified for IOS in the CIGESM switch modules documentation.

Hi waljohnson.

I have the same gear as you (Bladeserver w/CIGESM Cisco kit) and have similar problems.

I forget the exact issue we had, but as part of our core switch upgrade we did about 12 months ago, we finally moved our 'native' VLAN off of 1 (to 18) for our switches. We found that the CIGESM switches would not 'work' with a native VLAN other than 1.

I don't recall exactly what does not 'work' other than we had to leave the CIGESM's management on VLAN 1 (and therefore, the native VLAN on 1 for the uplink trunks connected to the switch.

We also moved to GLBP from HSRP as well... I think that I recall that GLBP was not supported either.

I'll refer to my notes in the morning and provide more information if I can find it. If you find a solution, I'd appreciate a note! :)

Darren.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card