cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1721 Router Question

thoppenrath
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm new to Cisco h/w and have been self training on reconfiguring a 1721 router with a 1DSU T1 WIC. The router was originally for our internet connection. The left slot has the above WIC the right slot is empty. What I want to do is simply use the router to connect to a seperate network within our facility. My question is, do I need to use a different WIC card and if so, what should I use? THanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you only need to connect a a switch that does vlans and configure vlan encap on the fastethernet interfface.

Alternatively you need WIC-1E.

Both solution will allow hosts on the two segments to communicate but NOT at wire-speed,

thing for which you should get a L3 switch, the smaller of these is WS3560-8PC.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

Then the WIC-1ENET should work just fine! Tn IOS you will see a new ethernet interface which you would need to configure and connect to the other site.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the connectivity to the other location? Copper, fiber, T1?

Sorry, it is copper. (Cat 5e).

OK, then Paolo's post is right on, either the WIC-1ENET or you could connect two switches together. The two switches option will give you better performance.

HTH

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you only need to connect a a switch that does vlans and configure vlan encap on the fastethernet interfface.

Alternatively you need WIC-1E.

Both solution will allow hosts on the two segments to communicate but NOT at wire-speed,

thing for which you should get a L3 switch, the smaller of these is WS3560-8PC.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

We don't have a spare L3 switch but do have the router. When you say " Not at wire speed" is that because the WIC card only supports 10mbps?

The switch does not have to be layer 3. You can do layer 2 but you would have to change some routing around which may not be worth it. How much inter-site traffic do you expect?

There would be very little traffic through this router.

Then the WIC-1ENET should work just fine! Tn IOS you will see a new ethernet interface which you would need to configure and connect to the other site.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card