cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gig Link- err-disable intermittent issue

kris55s
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3550 switch that is linked to a 4507. Occasionally the link will go into err-disable mode on the 3550 side. It's intermittent, sometime it won't happen for 2-3 weeks, sometimes it will happen twice in a week. I have had this happen before to several 3550 switches but they were always caused by a power outage that lasted longer than the UPS battery run time.

Replace fiber, swap out gbic??????

Logs have shown nothing up until this morning and I received the following:

Mar 28 08:48:28: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: link-flap error detected on Gi0/1, putting G

i0/1 in err-disable state

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It appears you have a flapping link and you have a the interface setup to err-disable on link flap so yes i would check gbics , and fiber correct light levels .

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Kristen,

You can configure "errdisable recovery cause [all / link-flap] " from the switch config mode.

It will log the reason for the port going into err-disabled state and it can viewed by

" show errdisable detect "

Errdisable Port State Recovery on the Cisco IOS Platforms

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml

HTH

Padmanabhan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card