Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Configuration

tyagi.vineet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have three sites (A,B,C) connected through MPLS-VPN using protocol BGP with AD 20(EBGP).Site A is our central site and we have secondary link (VSAT),Site A to B and A to C. Now I want to use same protocol for secondary link and traffic should be move through MPLS-VPN while both the link up.

for mpls link config like blow

router bgp 63590

network x.x.x.x mask x.x.x.x

network x.x.x.x mask x.x.x.x

neighbour x.x.x.x remote-as 9829

all the sites (A,B,C) having bgp AS 63590

How to configure secondary link (VSAT) using same protocol ?

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The VSAT peering would be considered an iBGP as there isn't a provider router in the middle of the connection as the MPLS-VPN.

While eBGP is preferred over iBGP when all attributes are being equal, on this case, the AS_PATH will be shorter on iBGP so those routes will be preferred.

You can configure a route-map on each router and use AS Prepending on routes being advertised for the VSAT neighbor.

router bgp 63590

neighbor [vsat_peer_router] remote-as 63590

neighbor [vsat_peer_router] route-map AS-PATH-OUT out

route-map AS-PATH-OUT

set as-path prepend 63590 63590

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison

I have configured the same but still most of the route are learned by AD200 (iBGP). please help me out.

Try using the local preference / weight attribute to prefer the MPLS routes

router bgp 63590

neighbor < 9829

neighbor route-map local-pref in

route-map local-pref permit 10

set local-preference 120

You need to configure it at both ends

HTH

Narayan

Thanka Narayan

but i think this will work when both the routes comming from iBGP.

weight attribute also i have configured but no change. I am thinking whatever attribute i am configuring is not allowed by sevice provider of MPLS-VPN.

am i right or not ?

It should work... can you post your configurations

The Local Preference and Weight attribute is local to your router to make a decision on the routing. It has nothing to do on the Providers MPLS VPN

HTH

Narayan

Did you configure the AS Prepend on all VSAT neighbors? Doing it on just one end won't work.

Can you post the portion of the config from the 3 routers ?

Ok, forget AS_PATH prepending. It won't work on this situation as they are iBGP neighbors. Please follow Narayan's advise and use local-preference instead.

Sorry for providing the wrong information before.

Regards,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card