Publisher Vs Primary CallManager

Answered Question
Mar 28th, 2008
User Badges:

hi all, before all i'd like to thank all of you guys for your help and information provided recently SO...

I got stuck in one thing What's the main difference between Publisher the one who held the Data Base and where changes occurs and the Primary CallManager were ip Phones looks for when they are connected to the LAN so thanks for your reponse

Correct Answer by Rob Huffman about 8 years 12 months ago

Hi Seif,

Hope all is well! In the basic design of a CCM cluster there may be 1 - Publisher and 2 - Subscriber servers. The recommendation is that IP Phones are not registered on the Publisher. When you define your Calmanager Groups you might setup Group 1 as;

Sub-1 (Primary)

Sub-2

Pub

And Group 2 as;

Sub-2 (Primary)

Sub-1

Pub

In Group 1 the Pimary Callmanager is Pub-1 and in Group 2 the Primary Callmanager is Pub-2. This is in reference to the phones registered with each Callmanager Group (with the highest one listed being the Primary or "First choice") and is not related to the Publisher and its funtionality in any way :) The wording can be a tad confusing at times.

Hope this helps! (and makes some sense)

Rob

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Rob Huffman Fri, 03/28/2008 - 19:03
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Seif,

Hope all is well! In the basic design of a CCM cluster there may be 1 - Publisher and 2 - Subscriber servers. The recommendation is that IP Phones are not registered on the Publisher. When you define your Calmanager Groups you might setup Group 1 as;

Sub-1 (Primary)

Sub-2

Pub

And Group 2 as;

Sub-2 (Primary)

Sub-1

Pub

In Group 1 the Pimary Callmanager is Pub-1 and in Group 2 the Primary Callmanager is Pub-2. This is in reference to the phones registered with each Callmanager Group (with the highest one listed being the Primary or "First choice") and is not related to the Publisher and its funtionality in any way :) The wording can be a tad confusing at times.

Hope this helps! (and makes some sense)

Rob

babatunde_sanda Sun, 06/01/2008 - 14:41
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

From my understanding, they are both CCM. The Publisher is the read write server while the subscriber is the read only server. There two levels of redundancy (clusters) 1:1 or 1:2 (1 subscriber 1 Publisher or 1 publisher and 2 or more subscribers). In either scenario there can only be 1 Publisher (read/write server). The subscribers are supposed to be the work horses. Always protect the Publisher and pull it out of the work load as much as possible. They both contain the database.Going a little further, when you configure them in a group it is advisable to make the subscriber the primary server for phone registration (first TFTP server). There is more to it. I will recommend this material http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=274.

Best of luck.

babatunde_sanda Sun, 06/01/2008 - 14:42
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

From my understanding, they are both CCM. The Publisher is the read write server while the subscriber is the read only server. There are two levels of redundancy (clusters) 1:1 or 1:2 (1 subscriber 1 Publisher or 1 publisher and 2 or more subscribers). In either scenario there can only be 1 Publisher (read/write server). The subscribers are supposed to be the work horses. Always protect the Publisher and pull it out of the work load as much as possible. They both contain the database.Going a little further, when you configure them in a group it is advisable to make the subscriber the primary server for phone registration (first TFTP server). There is more to it. I will recommend this material http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=274.

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck.

Actions

This Discussion